ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Which is more important: the gadget, or the software and apps that runs it?

<< < (5/13) > >>

wraith808:
Neither. :)

Which is more important, the tool or the product?  Without the tool, the product would not get built.  Without the product, the tool has no purpose.  Either without the other (or some permutation of 'the other') doesn't really do you any good, now does it?  If you have the idea for GDT, and no computer to build it on, aren't you a bit FUBAR?  And the same the other way around... if you want to use your computer to help with your mad guitar skills, but don't have any software to do so, your computer's pretty useless at that point...

zridling:
Wow, great discussion. Let me clarify a bit based on what's been said.

Right now, would you choose to buy the device based on its beauty, elegance, and hardware specs, or is the platform more important in your purchase decision?

(1) Your current computing background might have a say. For example, if you're a Windows person, and you use Windows Live/365, etc., you might likely decide a device (tablet or ereader in this case) running Windows is a more consistent and safe option for you. If you lean toward Linux/Android, then you might side with Google's Chromebook, which under Google's Bookshop would double as a convenient reader. And if you're a Mac person, then there's no discussion: it's iPad period.

(2) The problem I'm having -- as an open source guy -- is that each of these devices limit my choices. If I go with Google, then Amazon locks me out. If I go with Amazon, then they've shown they have no problem deleting your purchase if they need to. If I go with Apple, then I've gone to a dark, dark place where no one ever comes back, where Steve Jobs chokes any choice right out of your soul.
Given this state of affairs, I think I'd have to go for the hardware and hope everyone eventually supports ePUB files. I can't let a corporation control the format of my files -- especially ones I'm purchasing! -- ever again.

40hz:
FWIW, I do tend to look at what's available for a platform first. So I guess you could say I am influenced more by available software than hardware because I'm more interested in immediate usefullness rather than technical potential. I figure I can always switch or upgrade hardware if I have to. And there are distinct financial and technical advantages to a reasonable "late adoption" strategy when it comes to hardware. Less so for software, which doesn't usually see price drops due to increased unit sales like hardware does.

superboyac:
So which is more important - the device or the apps it runs?

Since it's a synergistic relationship, my answer would have be a simple "yes."  :)
-40hz (May 26, 2011, 06:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
EGG-zactly.  I'll keep insisting this point: the problem is not the OS or the device or the apps.  The problem is that all the big boy companies insist that choosing one of these things limits your choices in another category.  if I choose this device, I can only use this program.  if I want this OS, I can only pick from these 2 devices that I don't care for, but my favored device can't run that OS.

It's all these restrictions that annoy the shit out of me.  And we have the ability to be free.  All I want is each category to be independent.

Windows vs. Mac OS (this is a legitimate choice)
Windows vs. itunes player (??  makes no sense)
ipad vs. Android (?? makes no sense)
ipad vs. Galaxy (legit)
ipad vs. Android (stupid)
iOS vs. Android (valid)
EEE tablet vs. Verizon contract (AHH!!  shoot me now!)

Wouldn't you love to see all the devices on the table and be able to say:
I want THAT tablet,
with THIS OS,
without a cellphone contract,
with THESE apps.

Now, the only valid linkage between categories to me is apps and OS.  That's not fake or a gimmick.  but even now, there are enough cross-platform languages out there to make apps work on all the OS's.  Still, at least it's not simply a superficial barrier to trick you into a contract or a particular device.

superboyac:
Wow, great discussion. Let me clarify a bit based on what's been said.

Right now, would you choose to buy the device based on its beauty, elegance, and hardware specs, or is the platform more important in your purchase decision?

(1) Your current computing background might have a say. For example, if you're a Windows person, and you use Windows Live/365, etc., you might likely decide a device (tablet or ereader in this case) running Windows is a more consistent and safe option for you. If you lean toward Linux/Android, then you might side with Google's Chromebook, which under Google's Bookshop would double as a convenient reader. And if you're a Mac person, then there's no discussion: it's iPad period.

(2) The problem I'm having -- as an open source guy -- is that each of these devices limit my choices. If I go with Google, then Amazon locks me out. If I go with Amazon, then they've shown they have no problem deleting your purchase if they need to. If I go with Apple, then I've gone to a dark, dark place where no one ever comes back, where Steve Jobs chokes any choice right out of your soul.
Given this state of affairs, I think I'd have to go for the hardware and hope everyone eventually supports ePUB files. I can't let a corporation control the format of my files -- especially ones I'm purchasing! -- ever again.
-zridling (May 26, 2011, 04:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've been thinking about this a lot lately.  I quickly get sucked into a philosophical vortex when I do.  I blame the global financial system for this stuff.  But I won't commit to it because once you start thinking that globally about it, you can attribute it to so many human characteristics.  I can blame it on greed, or other such things.  But since I'm a little obsessed right now with the economy, that's what I'm thinking.

See, the world is so connected now, not only communication-wise, but especially with money.  Any investment we make (mortgages, pensions, insurance...basically anything that is Wall Street-ish) goes directly into the global economy.  This is a very new and unique thing historically.  Before, things were way more compartmentalized (like before deregulation).  Not to get too much into it, but because of this, it makes it virtually impossible to provide mutually beneficial solutions to people as a whole.  Someone MUST get screwed in the process.  Why?  because our global economy is basically a Ponzi scheme.  It's afloat right now, but it's gonig to collapse eventually.  Maybe not in my lifetime, but this can't be sustained.  And we've crossed some kind of line recently too, I don't know how to describe it.

So who's going to get screwed?  Well, not the big boys.  So the "American Dream" small business people are going to suffer.  Why?  Because the small business people, they desire to provide actual solutions that people NEED and WANT.  It's mutually beneficial.  Sure, I'll give you $10 for a program that will autonumber lists for me.  I'm happy, you're happy.  Yay!  But no...the small business owner has to pay all sorts of fees just to get the business going.  Then fees for all the services he needs from the big companies.  Then fees for mortgages, or rent, homeowner's association...all of these HUGE costs for stuff like that.  Phone bills, cell phone service, ISP.  So now, the programmer can't charge $10 because it's such a small market AND his living expenses are crazy.  So he has to give up, and join a larger company so that he gets paid a salary doing spin-the-wheel type work.  So his innovation is lost, and his time and effort is spent doing things that make this fucked up system keep churning.  In the end, there's just mediocrity at best.

Then, when a guy like Madoff gets caught with a Ponzi scheme in the economic crisis, he is vilified and sent to prison.  Good, right?  (I'm not defending him, I'm using this as an academic example).  However, when AIG or the government does the EXACT SAME THING, what happens?  We print more money and dump it into the top of the pyramid.  And that's the "right thing to do".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version