ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Which is more important: the gadget, or the software and apps that runs it?

<< < (3/13) > >>

Stoic Joker:
So which is more important - the device or the apps it runs?

Since it's a synergistic relationship, my answer would have be a simple "yes."
-40hz (May 26, 2011, 06:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

While I do understand Renegades point, I can totally see my self going here with the answer (hehe).

However, speaking of points...
Therefore, does the device/gadget win you over or is it the software/apps that run it?
-zridling (May 25, 2011, 11:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

The original question says to me; what is more important to the consumer. Not what's more important philosophically. Uber slick hardware (speed), or what you can do with it at that speed (the apps).

Given that there's not much point, fun, or reason to drop the extra cash on a Quad Core to playing Pong. For the end user, I'd say, it's a matter of what can be done with. The apps are a means to an end. That end being to access the content. Which also makes the apps the Pivot Man for the content. A bad app can waste the hardware capabilities, and ruin the content consumptions experience.

So I'll say that the most important make or break point is the apps. Because a well written app, even on old/slow hardware can still rock ... If it plays well with the user.

cranioscopical:
Wetware beats all  ;)

40hz:
Wetware beats all  ;)
-cranioscopical (May 26, 2011, 07:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow! I think you may have just created the 'geek version' of "Rock, Paper, Scissors"  ;D

Renegade:
Wetware beats hardware.
Hardware beats software.
Software beats wetware.

hehehe - cute.

40hz:
^Software does a lot more than just beat Wetware. Those two have a full blown sadomasochistic relationship going. And we're talking the "lifestyle" variety here.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version