ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can anyone show me proper Donald Knuth TeX samples?

(1/1)

superboyac:
In my search for the perfect math typography (for print), I learned that Donald Knuth is the master of it all.  He created the Computer Modern font, which is used in all those TeX programs the academics love.  I like it also, and I want to change all the math fonts in my books to the Computer Modern font.

So that's easy, I have the font installed.  Now, I'm looking for good examples of the typography details: spacing between elements, sub and superscript relative sizes, what should and shouldn't be italicized, etc.

Of course, finding examples is hard.  All anyone wants to do online is talk talk talk talk, describe...but nary a sample.  I don't care about any of that.  I literally just want to see samples of Donald Knuth approved spacing.  What I'd love to find is just a page full of images showing all sorts of math symbols, equations, matrices...just every example possible, and I can tweak my programs to mimic that typography.

Any help is appreciated.  40hz??  I'm betting you probably have something already in mind in your knowledge suppository.  :D

cranioscopical:

Of course, finding examples is hard.  All anyone wants to do online is talk talk talk talk, describe...but nary a sample.  I don't care about any of that.  I literally just want to see samples of Donald Knuth approved spacing.  What I'd love to find is just a page full of images showing all sorts of math symbols, equations, matrices...just every example possible, and I can tweak my programs to mimic that typography.

Any help is appreciated.  40hz??  I'm betting you probably have something already in mind in your knowledge suppository.  :D
-superboyac (June 16, 2011, 04:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Best source is "The TexBook" by Knuth himself.
Meanwhile, I suggest you download this .pdf and browse through it. Here it is.

superboyac:

Of course, finding examples is hard.  All anyone wants to do online is talk talk talk talk, describe...but nary a sample.  I don't care about any of that.  I literally just want to see samples of Donald Knuth approved spacing.  What I'd love to find is just a page full of images showing all sorts of math symbols, equations, matrices...just every example possible, and I can tweak my programs to mimic that typography.

Any help is appreciated.  40hz??  I'm betting you probably have something already in mind in your knowledge suppository.  :D
-superboyac (June 16, 2011, 04:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Best source is "The TexBook" by Knuth himself.
Meanwhile, I suggest you download this .pdf and browse through it. Here it is.
-cranioscopical (June 16, 2011, 10:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
YES!!  Thanks cranio, that is better than I could have imagined.
 :greenclp:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version