ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

More Copyright Nuttiness - 10 Strikes? Go to jail. Do not pass go...

<< < (2/2)

app103:
...how safe is the signup to tell congress no bit on the top right of that page?? Do we know/trust the site well enough to all jump in and fire off a letter through it?-Stoic Joker (June 15, 2011, 06:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good question. In this modern world, I'd expect someone to show up with a subpoena if you did. How good are you with proxification!!  :D
-zridling (June 15, 2011, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think that was what Stoic Joker meant.

@Stoic Joker, if you are worried about going through that site to send a message to Congress, thinking you might end up spammed to death or something, then it's time to get familiar with who your representatives are and how to contact them. Info for where to send email, snail mail, phone calls shouldn't be too hard to find. It's considered public information. You don't need to use a 3rd party.

Renegade:
Okay, sounds like a call to action... But, how safe is the signup to tell congress no bit on the top right of that page?? Do we know/trust the site well enough to all jump in and fire off a letter through it?
-Stoic Joker (June 15, 2011, 06:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Should that be something more like:

Do we know/trust Congress well enough?

;D  :P

Stoic Joker:
...how safe is the signup to tell congress no bit on the top right of that page?? Do we know/trust the site well enough to all jump in and fire off a letter through it?-Stoic Joker (June 15, 2011, 06:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good question. In this modern world, I'd expect someone to show up with a subpoena if you did.-zridling (June 15, 2011, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is actually of no concern, as I've made people regret finding me before... :)

I don't think that was what Stoic Joker meant.-app103 (June 15, 2011, 03:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Quite Correct!

@Stoic Joker, if you are worried about going through that site to send a message to Congress, thinking you might end up spammed to death or something, then it's time to get familiar with who your representatives are and how to contact them. Info for where to send email, snail mail, phone calls shouldn't be too hard to find. It's considered public information. You don't need to use a 3rd party.-app103 (June 15, 2011, 03:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

That distinction only dictates in what form and by whom you will be bothered going forward. Being that I run my own mail server, I've no problem blacklisting offenders. So I much prefer electronic communication whenever possible ... Assuming of course that the site in question is endorsed as being reputable by someone who's opinion I trust. Hence the question... :)

Should that be something more like:

Do we know/trust Congress well enough?

;D  :P-Renegade (June 15, 2011, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I trust congress about as far as I can throw the State of Florida.  :D

app103:
I don't think that was what Stoic Joker meant.-app103 (June 15, 2011, 03:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Quite Correct!

@Stoic Joker, if you are worried about going through that site to send a message to Congress, thinking you might end up spammed to death or something, then it's time to get familiar with who your representatives are and how to contact them. Info for where to send email, snail mail, phone calls shouldn't be too hard to find. It's considered public information. You don't need to use a 3rd party.-app103 (June 15, 2011, 03:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

That distinction only dictates in what form and by whom you will be bothered going forward. Being that I run my own mail server, I've no problem blacklisting offenders. So I much prefer electronic communication whenever possible ... Assuming of course that the site in question is endorsed as being reputable by someone who's opinion I trust. Hence the question... :)

-Stoic Joker (June 15, 2011, 07:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Going through a 3rd party would only result in them sending it to the same email address you could have in the first place, or possibly the wrong one, while the 3rd party gets some info about you and where to send the political spam in most cases. It won't give your message any extra power. In fact, it would probably have a better chance of being read (and possibly responded to) if you sent it yourself. You will at least know it is going to the correct representative. (but don't count on the congressman himself doing it...probably will be handled by one of his aides.)

The point is the old saying: If you want something done right, do it yourself.

If everyone handles it themselves, then all of congress will receive messages from the citizens they represent, rather than a single congressman or some general info email address that nobody pays attention to.

Stoic Joker:
Going through a 3rd party would only result in them sending it to the same email address you could have in the first place, or possibly the wrong one, while the 3rd party gets some info about you and where to send the political spam in most cases. It won't give your message any extra power. -app103 (June 15, 2011, 08:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

A simple no doesn't need "extra power", and as far as spam goes ... That's why I was/am inquiring about the site in questions reputability. Time is also a factor...

In fact, it would probably have a better chance of being read (and possibly responded to) if you sent it yourself. You will at least know it is going to the correct representative. (but don't count on the congressman himself doing it...probably will be handled by one of his aides.) -app103 (June 15, 2011, 08:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Given that most of congress is to busy, drunk, or stupid to use Email (or most technologies (Twitter...) properly)...It will assuredly be handled by an aid of some kind. In which case critical thinking skills are best left out of the requirements list. Better to repeatedly flash the same (exact) message in front of them for the purpose of it hopefully eventually sinking in. Just like training a dog; somewhere between to 1st and 5,000th time a command is repeated they catch on ... Trying to reason with them ($$$$$$$$) is simply foolish.

This is a big part of why dictators of old had to be lashed to a post and then set on fire before they realized that the people weren't "happy" with them (e.g. Not everybody likes cake.).

If everyone handles it themselves, then all of congress will receive messages from the citizens they represent, rather than a single congressman or some general info email address that nobody pays attention to.-app103 (June 15, 2011, 08:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

If everyone handles it themselves, there will be a bunch of different messages, worded a bunch of different was, many of which will detract from or completely obscure the point. And if the site in question has the address wrong, or is failing to send said message to all of the necessary/relevant parties... Well, that would be a part of the reputation thing I was inquiring about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version