topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Kaydara - 55 minute Matrix Fanfilm  (Read 8451 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Kaydara - 55 minute Matrix Fanfilm
« on: May 25, 2011, 05:00 AM »
Kaydara, a bounty hunter who is living separately from the Human Resistance Group, does not believe in the prophecy of 'the One.' He sees this so-called saviour as a threat to the awakening of Man's self-awareness and considers him an enemy. If their paths cross, Kaydara will not hesitate to confront him.

from QuietEarth

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Kaydara - 55 minute Matrix Fanfilm
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 05:20 AM »
Sounds like a good film, but the site is just loud. I had to close it to save my ears.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 06:24 AM »
@Edvard - great find!  :Thmbsup:

The Quiet Earth website is a great resource for post-apocalyptic and dark genre sci-fi and (more recently) horror flicks. I like to visit it whenever I'm feeling a little too optimistic or happy about our future.  ;D

Some real hidden gems coming out of places you normally don't associate with movie making. Amazing what happens once you get out of the mainstream studio system. Apparently, good things occur when you can't afford to spend $100 million on special effects to prop up a badly written script or weak storyline. Also a welcome relief not to have to watch Willis, Reeves, Portman, Cage, and other Hollywood 'names' butcher a sci-fi flick. (Why does Hollywood persist in thinking this group of actors is good for this type of film? About the only two 'mainstreams' that do seem able to pull it off are DiCaprio and Jovovich.)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 09:14 AM by 40hz, Reason: Fixed grammar. »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 06:42 AM »
@40Hz RE: Quiet Earth

I do believe I happened upon that site from one of your posts.
Been checking it almost daily ever since.  :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 07:21 AM »
@Edvard- Well, yeah. Thanks. But I made that recommendation a while ago. And I try to follow the "6-month recommendation limit" rule. Because AFAIC, if something's not mentioned for over half a year, then the next person who does mention it becomes the 'new' finder.

And yes, I did just make that rule up. ;D

But it does make sense when you think about it. I can't stand when I recommend sonething and some forum historian (and self-appointed hall monitor) sends me a 'friendly' PM to let me know that THEY had already discovered and posted about it back on March 18, 2009 - and could I therefor "acknowledge their contribution" lest others think I was trying to "steal the credit" (???) for THEIR "find." (Thank Buddha that sort of nonsense doesn't happen here!)

Either way it's a great movie site.  :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:40 AM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 08:37 AM »
@Edvard - great find!  :Thmbsup:

The Quiet Earth website is a great resource for post-apocalyptic and dark genre sci-fi and (more recently) horror flicks. I like to visit it whenever I'm feeling a little too optimistic or happy about our future.  ;D

That looks like an amazing site!

Now, from only a quick glance... I pray that they make it easy to buy...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 08:39 AM »
Sigh... No luck...

Buy This DVD and Watch it Instantly
Watch the Amazon Instant Video rental on your PC, Mac, compatible TV or compatible device at no charge when you buy this DVD from Amazon.com. Your rental will expire 2 days after you begin watching or 30 days after your disc purchase, whichever occurs first. The Amazon Instant Video version will be available in Your Video Library and is provided as a gift with disc purchase. Available to US customers only. See Terms and Conditions.

I really wish I could buy under decent terms...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 09:22 AM »
^We all do. Nonsense like that hurts everybody eventually. First one region or group of people gets handed the short stick. Next thing you know, they codify and make it the norm for everybody.

You've got one world market for entertainment. It would be cool if the motion picture industry woke up and realized that instead of walking around with a protectionist mindset that dates back to when Heartbreak Hotel was at the top of the charts.
 :-\

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 03:47 PM »
@Edvard- Well, yeah. Thanks. But I made that recommendation a while ago. And I try to follow the "6-month recommendation limit" rule. Because AFAIC, if something's not mentioned for over half a year, then the next person who does mention it becomes the 'new' finder.

Hello, only 5 months ago...

Either way it's a great movie site.  :Thmbsup:

+1  :Thmbsup:

I just watched the film and it's pretty darn good for a fan production.
The sound was WAAAY out of sync for me (don't know why) so it was like watching a badly dubbed french film, and the story line seemed a bit shallow in spots (I know, it's short, it's a FAN film, etc. etc.) but well done overall.
 :greenclp:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 05:38 PM »
The sound was WAAAY out of sync for me (don't know why) so it was like watching a badly dubbed french film, and the story line seemed a bit shallow in spots (I know, it's short, it's a FAN film, etc. etc.) but well done overall.

As far as I could tell, the sound was perfectly in sync for me and it felt like watching a badly dubbed "Japanimation" cartoon from half a century ago (e.g. Speed Racer). The translation wasn't that great, the English voice actors weren't very good. . .

I just shut it down not quite half-way through because it was all too ridiculous for me.

And that's not even mentioning the opening scene with the cats and the mouse and the bird and eggs. :huh:

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 05:52 PM »
I watched the first few minutes and the mouse and stuff just put me off. It was too weird. I fast forwarded and saw that it changed later, but by then I just didn't care.

- Oshyan

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 08:33 PM »
Maybe I just don't get out as much as I should; I quite enjoyed it. :huh:

@JavaJones: the opening sequence was a video game one of the characters was playing.
It plays a minor role in the final outcome, so there's reason behind it, but I agree it was rather silly.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 11:00 AM »
Yeah, I skipped ahead enough to find out it was a videogame or something, but I really didn't need it to go on for 6 full minutes. I mean seriously? Not to mention the claymation figures just made you wonder what the hell was really going on. It doesn't really look like a video game and it seems like they could have done a much better job of that if that was their intention. For a good example of how to do "videogame sequence" in a movie, look at Toy Story 2. 3 minutes and it keeps you interested because it looks like the actual movie, so you assume it's real, then you get the fun reveal when a main character dies. I guess that works best because it's a sequel though. ;)

- Oshyan

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 11:39 AM »
Towards the end of the film, there are events that play out that are relevant to the claymation sequence, so it's not a total throwaway.
The film could have survived without it, though.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 02:39 PM »
Commercials, during a web video...Are you kidding me?!?

I thought the claymation sequence made virtually no sense but was funny as hell, and was therefore OK. The ending I didn't really like, primarily because it didn't make a damn bit of sense to me. What the hell is the point of running away from the dead body of the guy you just killed - Twice, by not saving him... - solely for the purpose of going into VR to hug his virtual corpse?!?

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 04:11 PM »
Commercials, during a web video...Are you kidding me?!?
-Stoic Joker (May 27, 2011, 02:39 PM)

Yeah... forgot about that... Ugh >_<
I guess they gotta clear their budget somehow.

I thought the claymation sequence made virtually no sense but was funny as hell, and was therefore OK. The ending I didn't really like, primarily because it didn't make a damn bit of sense to me. What the hell is the point of running away from the dead body of the guy you just killed - Twice, by not saving him... - solely for the purpose of going into VR to hug his virtual corpse?!?

Got me there...  :huh:
It is a FAN film after all, and those don't usually have the same depth of plot or coherent story, but if it's done well, I can usually forgive them.

Like this time...  :-[
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:14 PM by Edvard »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 05:14 PM »
Interesting comments. I am definitely gonna make it a point to watch this thing sometime this weekend.  :)