Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 31, 2014, 02:05:38 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Adding spoken word option  (Read 4375 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 25, 2011, 04:14:59 AM »

I was talking to app about features to add.  One idea that would be really easy to add is to have an option where the program can speak what's shown, so if kid types B and it shows "B is for Bees" with a photo of a bee, then it would speak the words "B is for Bees".

I dont think the text-to-speech is good enough, so i'd like to use recorded mp3 files of a real person speaking.

The files should be named word_1.mp3 so for example "bee_1.mp3", etc for all the words found in the default VpMedia directory. the # is so that it can support different alternative voices.

I will add the feature if someone volunteers to record the 50-60 mp3 spoken word files that would be needed to accompany the initial image set.  Any volunteers?
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 04:37:17 AM »

I was talking to app about features to add.  One idea that would be really easy to add is to have an option where the program can speak what's shown, so if kid types B and it shows "B is for Bees" with a photo of a bee, then it would speak the words "B is for Bees".

I dont think the text-to-speech is good enough, so i'd like to use recorded mp3 files of a real person speaking.

The files should be named word_1.mp3 so for example "bee_1.mp3", etc for all the words found in the default VpMedia directory. the # is so that it can support different alternative voices.

I will add the feature if someone volunteers to record the 50-60 mp3 spoken word files that would be needed to accompany the initial image set.  Any volunteers?

Does anyone have one of those sexy, deep radio voices?

I'd volunteer as I need to do some setup testing, and will be doing a bunch of that kind of stuff anyways.

Check out my voice at http://www.dotnetpreacher.com/ to see if it would be ok. I do NOT have a super-sexy-swinging voice though.

If you need recommendations for professional voice actors, I know a few that I could/would recommend.

But let me know if my voice will work ok. Don't be afraid to say no though -- I know my voice isn't movie preview material.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:40:42 AM »

Your voice would be just fine.  thumbs up
Ath
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 05:24:29 AM »

I dont think the text-to-speech is good enough,

I'd surely have a good look at Windows supplied TTS (if I had a project for that). Current TTS for Windows is quite impressive, IMHO, and it's quite easy to select another voice, or switch from male to female, etc.

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 06:19:05 AM »

Your voice would be just fine.  thumbs up

If you decide against the Windows voices, I've emailed you. Just get back to me there. (Or let me know if a spam filter killed my email.)

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 06:44:56 AM »

The TTS (text to speech) has gotten a *LOT* better, and for many applications it would be fine.
This however is a perfect case where recorded human voice is superior, since it's of a relatively limited scope of predefined words, and it's nice to let people customize it with their own voice if they want.
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 07:38:13 AM »

The TTS (text to speech) has gotten a *LOT* better, and for many applications it would be fine.
This however is a perfect case where recorded human voice is superior, since it's of a relatively limited scope of predefined words, and it's nice to let people customize it with their own voice if they want.

I just thought... I have a Canadian accent, which is similar to North Dakota (I think). The accent issue is still there. It should be fine for most purposes though.

Ath
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 09:08:49 AM »

This however is a perfect case where recorded human voice is superior,

Ok, I understand the reasoning cheesy, then you'd have to find a female beside Renegade, to supply those samples, too (and a config option to select them). An extra request might be needed for that voice, I guess smiley

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 07:35:36 AM »

I have completed the version that will speak words, and I have uploaded it as the new version.

BUT there are *no* speech files present, so nothing new for the end user.

But for anyone who wants to add speech files, just add them under any subdirectory (new or existing) of the VpMedia directory; they should be of the form word.mp3 or word.wav or word_1.mp3, word_2.mp3, etc.

And again, feel free to add your own word images and sounds of things around your house, etc.
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 07:40:37 AM »

I'll be setting up my equipment this weekend, and will do the recording then.

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 01:02:16 AM »

I've sent the last files, including a super-awesome BONUS TRACK~! (That can never ever ever ever make it into children's software... Wink )

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 01:11:11 AM »

Thanks to Renegade a new version (1.35) is now available with speech option, and includes over 100 speech audio files, one for every image.
Users can also of course add their own custom images and audio files.
See main forum post for more info.
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 02:08:58 AM »

I remember hearing Zaine's voice on the DC Podcast(s) back in the day. I thought he had a great voice for this kind of thing. IIRC, he does have a bit of a southern accent (which I only mention because Renegade mentioned having a Canadian accent), but I still thought Zaine has a great "radio" voice.

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 10:19:56 AM »

I remember hearing Zaine's voice on the DC Podcast(s) back in the day. I thought he had a great voice for this kind of thing. IIRC, he does have a bit of a southern accent (which I only mention because Renegade mentioned having a Canadian accent), but I still thought Zaine has a great "radio" voice.

Skwire also has a great voice. We all thought that back when we were chatting on Mumble. He sounds like a professional voiceover announcer.

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 06:25:04 AM »

I wish I had one of those voices.

A fellow I know in Seoul is a voice actor with one of those voices. Deep, smooth.

It would make a great audio effect to take your voice and turn it into that.

Women are different. There seems to be a wider range of voices that fit the "radio" model.

I suppose that I can at least say that I don't have a face for radio~! tongue

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.041s | Server load: 0.02 ]