topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Latest Little Voice Commander Release v1.36.01 - June 3, 2011  (Read 27762 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Download latest version from Official Web Page: HERE.

screenshot.jpg

v1.36.01 - June 3, 2011
  • Better reporting and options to disable speech if SAPI runtimes not found.

v1.35.01 - May 31, 2011
  • Now includes over 100 audio voice files provided by DC member Renegade (Ryan Smyth) that can speak each word as it is displayed.  Thanks Ryan!  Users can create their own audio files (as well as their own image files).

Little Voice Commander is a toy program for young toddlers who are just learning to start to speak.

The program runs full screen (across multiple monitors if present) and listens for a child to speak or press a key.

If the program detects something being spoken, it finds the best match for a word it has photos for, and displays some random photos for that word, as well as the word text. If a key on the keyboard is pressed, a word beginning with the pressed key is displayed, along with some photos for that word.

Users can add their own photos easily, so you can customize it with pictures of mom, dad, sister, brother, dog, cat, house, etc. It will scan labeled photos on startup and add those words to its vocabulary.

It uses the microsoft speech recognition engine, which is ok but not ideal. I wouldn't expect to be able to use this to teach any kid how to pronounce words -- it's more to encourage very young kids to babble and give them the experience of having what they speak affect what it shown in a semi-consistent manner.

I hope people will help by making some additional image packs for the program from royalty free photo sources. Thanks to DC member App103 (and http://www.freestockphotos.biz) for collecting the initial set of royalty free images, and to Stoic Joker for the program name suggestion.

Note: This program is based on my more grown up MultiPhotoQuotes screensaver engine.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 12:40 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest Little Voice Commander Release v1.33.01 - May 23, 2011
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 08:38 AM »
Martin at ghacks posted a very sweet write-up of Little Voice Commander today  :-*

http://www.ghacks.ne...n-software-for-kids/

One of the coolest features of the program is the ability to add your own photos to it. You could add photos of parents, grandparents, pets or locations that are familiar to the user to add a personal note to the program.
All in all it is a great program that will keep kids entertained for some time on the computer. Even better, it makes them associate words with images.

Screenshot - 5_24_2011 , 8_34_28 AM_thumb.png

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest Little Voice Commander Release v1.33.01 - May 23, 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 01:58 PM »
That's nice :up:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest Little Voice Commander Release v1.35.01 - May 31, 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 01:03 AM »
Version 1.35.01
Now includes over 100 audio voice files provided by DC member Renegade (Ryan Smyth) that can speak each word as it is displayed.  Thanks Ryan!  Users can create their own audio files (as well as their own image files).

capitalH

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 01:39 AM »
The download page states that is 29MB (it is 33.3MB)
Also it would be helpful to the size of the speech engine as it is large (20MB downloaded - unknown size) and DoCo seems a bit slow on the download side...

One comment that I do have (before being able to run the program) is that I am not interested in the speech engine part - it would have been nice to have this as an option so that one does not have download and install another bloated piece of software.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 01:46 AM »
One comment that I do have (before being able to run the program) is that I am not interested in the speech engine part - it would have been nice to have this as an option so that one does not have download and install another bloated piece of software.

If you don't want it to recognize your speech then it sounds like you want CrazyLittleFingers.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 03:45 AM »
A few quick points:

• You can disable the speech recognition part, and it will just respond to keys tapped on the keyboard.
  • The download size is large, but that has nothing to do with the speech support, it's because the download includes a couple hundred images.
  • At some point I very well may break up the download into two parts, a core download, and an image pack download.  That would make it easier to update.

capitalH

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 07:20 AM »
A few quick points:

• You can disable the speech recognition part, and it will just respond to keys tapped on the keyboard.
  • The download size is large, but that has nothing to do with the speech support, it's because the download includes a couple hundred images.
  • At some point I very well may break up the download into two parts, a core download, and an image pack download.  That would make it easier to update.

Your program (https://www.donation...ceCommanderSetup.exe) is 33.3 MB.

The speech engine ( https://www.donation...ognition_Runtime.msi) is 49.7MB

About disabling the speech recognition - I would rather not install the second download (SAPI 5 runtime) at all than just to disable it.

capitalH

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 07:21 AM »
If you don't want it to recognize your speech then it sounds like you want CrazyLittleFingers.

Thanks - although since my kid is learning the alphabet I want to display the letters on screen as well.

Busy hacking up an AHK solution - almost done at least (but pictures only - mp3s would have to wait for translation).

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:25 AM by capitalH, Reason: add part in brackets »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 07:40 AM »
Ah well the speech engine download is only needed for windows xp, and should not be needed if you dont enable speech option in the program.
i'll check and fix it if it is.

capitalH

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 09:18 AM »
Ah well the speech engine download is only needed for windows xp, and should not be needed if you dont enable speech option in the program.
i'll check and fix it if it is.

I have Windows XP and your program crashes immediately upon running (main program, configure program and test window crashes).

I edited the .ini file and set everything with speech in it = false - still crashing

I cannot figure out how to add a screenshot as an attachment - but the error is

"OLE error 8004503A, ClassID: {73AD6842-ACE0-45E8-A4DD-8795881A2C2A}"

My ahk hack is done at least so not a big problem - although not as pretty as yours, and no sound (yet).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 09:25 AM »
right ok, so it sounds like its needing MS speech to be installed even if you try to disable it.  i'll fix that.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 12:25 PM »
A new version has been uploaded (v1.36.01).

In this version if the SAPI speech runtimes are not found, a much more intelligible warning is displayed explaining the problem of the missing SAPI runtimes and instructing how to fix.

And furthermore, the program will then continue to operate with simple keyboard presses instead of speech.

And a new option is present to disable speech recognition features, which will also disable the initial warning.