ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

MS Word Spell Checker - Selective Failure

(1/3) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Okay, so a client sends me a Word document (.docx) that has some spelling errors in it that Spell Check isn't finding. The errors are reasonably obvious and don't result in the creation of another different/shorter word. They are indeed, wrong. But completely undetected.

To eliminate anything application instance or document related I copied just the one word to a new Word document...And Spell Check ignored that one too. Here's a screen-shot to save time and typing:

Pressing F7 (force full check) still misses the same bad word. Ignore word X only lasts - or is only supposed to last - until the line it's on changes...But that is not the case here. So I added a bit more garbage text to better dramatize the issue:

...So, does anybody have any idea how the hell that happened?

tranglos:
Is the language set correctly for the text? Have you tried Ctrl+A then set language (on the Review tab)?

Stoic Joker:
Is the language set correctly for the text? Have you tried Ctrl+A then set language (on the Review tab)?
-tranglos (May 24, 2011, 02:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, language is correct for the document. I also tried resetting it just to be sure. It had no effect.

The word in question, hurricane, is the main topic of the 20 page document...And is therefore used repeatedly. If I go up or down one paragraph from this block of text, spell check will again recognize the missspelling (much like the screen shot). But on this one line it just don't matter what you put in there ... Spell Check completely ignores it.

Ath:
Where did you copy it from? Another Word document, or plain text?

Could you reset the attributes to the default (select + Ctrl-Space) that usually works if I have issues like these, or paste it as plain text (using Notepad++ as an intermediate, but there are several tools discussed here, that I don't want to install on my work-PC, that can do that for you).

mwb1100:
The language (which is where spell checking can be disabled) for the the paragraph can also be specified in a style - I'm not sure if setting the language for the whole document will override a setting that's in a style applied to a paragraph or selection.  So check the style applied to the paragraph/selection of text as well.

Edit: I just checked - setting the language (and clearing the "do not spell check box") when the whole document is selected will override the style.  So my suggestion provides no value over tranglos'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version