ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Little Voice Commander

Latest Little Voice Commander Release v1.36.01 - June 3, 2011

(1/3) > >>

mouser:
Download latest version from Official Web Page: HERE.

v1.36.01 - June 3, 2011

* Better reporting and options to disable speech if SAPI runtimes not found.
v1.35.01 - May 31, 2011

* Now includes over 100 audio voice files provided by DC member Renegade (Ryan Smyth) that can speak each word as it is displayed.  Thanks Ryan!  Users can create their own audio files (as well as their own image files).

Little Voice Commander is a toy program for young toddlers who are just learning to start to speak.

The program runs full screen (across multiple monitors if present) and listens for a child to speak or press a key.

If the program detects something being spoken, it finds the best match for a word it has photos for, and displays some random photos for that word, as well as the word text. If a key on the keyboard is pressed, a word beginning with the pressed key is displayed, along with some photos for that word.

Users can add their own photos easily, so you can customize it with pictures of mom, dad, sister, brother, dog, cat, house, etc. It will scan labeled photos on startup and add those words to its vocabulary.

It uses the microsoft speech recognition engine, which is ok but not ideal. I wouldn't expect to be able to use this to teach any kid how to pronounce words -- it's more to encourage very young kids to babble and give them the experience of having what they speak affect what it shown in a semi-consistent manner.

I hope people will help by making some additional image packs for the program from royalty free photo sources. Thanks to DC member App103 (and http://www.freestockphotos.biz) for collecting the initial set of royalty free images, and to Stoic Joker for the program name suggestion.

Note: This program is based on my more grown up MultiPhotoQuotes screensaver engine.

mouser:
Martin at ghacks posted a very sweet write-up of Little Voice Commander today  :-*

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/05/24/little-voice-commander-fun-software-for-kids/

One of the coolest features of the program is the ability to add your own photos to it. You could add photos of parents, grandparents, pets or locations that are familiar to the user to add a personal note to the program.
All in all it is a great program that will keep kids entertained for some time on the computer. Even better, it makes them associate words with images.
--- End quote ---

Ath:
That's nice :up:

mouser:
Version 1.35.01
Now includes over 100 audio voice files provided by DC member Renegade (Ryan Smyth) that can speak each word as it is displayed.  Thanks Ryan!  Users can create their own audio files (as well as their own image files).

capitalH:
The download page states that is 29MB (it is 33.3MB)
Also it would be helpful to the size of the speech engine as it is large (20MB downloaded - unknown size) and DoCo seems a bit slow on the download side...

One comment that I do have (before being able to run the program) is that I am not interested in the speech engine part - it would have been nice to have this as an option so that one does not have download and install another bloated piece of software.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version