ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Keep some folders out of my "Recent places"

(1/2) > >>

mayurdotca:
I'm running Windows 7 and like the "Recent places" link in my Windows Explorer.  HOWEVER, it's INCREDIBLY embarrassing when I'm in front of clients/friends because sometimes I have drives and folders list in Recent places that I don't want people to see.  Can you build a system tray utility that will monitor and sanitize my Recent places so that only specific drives or folders are shown there?

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

mayurdotca:
If the utility could have a whitelist or blacklist function, that would be cool.  Even if I have to use an ini file, that's OK too cause once it's set, it probably won't change.

mayurdotca:
Recent places is located at C:\Users\<username>~1\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent

MilesAhead:
My suggestion would be just turn off indexing. It's a big drain on resources for little gain.  Use Everything Search instead.

Instead of Recent Places have some shortcuts you use most often in the favorites.  Trying to control how Windows sticks stuff in it's mru lists is pretty much a lost cause.  About the only thing that works is turning it off altogether.

Anyway, I did about 15 minutes of searching and didn't find any utility that claims to do what you want.

Alternatively you might use this to temporarily hide favorites altogether:

http://www.door2windows.com/windows-7-navigation-pane-customizer-show-hide-rename-items-in-windows-explorer-navigation-pane/

I tried it on my W7 32 bit machine and it seemed to work fine.
Just bring it up and uncheck everything but Computer until the onlookers leave. :)

Stoic Joker:
Add the folders you want to hide to the recent places list.
Go to the folder you specified earlier.
Apply the Deny Read NTFS permission to the shortcut files that you don't want to have displayed.

Now the shell can't display them in the list because you're not allowed to (read) see them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version