topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DHCPV6 Server for Windows 7  (Read 10245 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
DHCPV6 Server for Windows 7
« on: May 21, 2011, 02:25 PM »
Hello all,

I am attempting to find a dhcpv6 capable server that can run on Windows 7. I have tried Jagornet dhcpv6 server, but its config is a pain in the butt. (http://www.jagornet.com/)

I have tried dibbler (http://klub.com.pl/dhcpv6/) and it works, and well, but the service fails to start and I cannot figure out why. If anyone would be willing to try this one and see if they can get it to start, some dcredits might be in order :)

Other than those two, does anyone know of a good dhcp server for windows 7 that supports ipv6?

Thanks!
Josh

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DHCPV6 Server for Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 04:07 PM »
Not to be nosy, but why do you want to run a "6-server" on Win7?  :)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:09 PM by 40hz »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 04:14 PM »
To share out ipv6 addresses to my home network. I have a /56 and refuse to run ICS.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 11:55 PM »
Saw your problem and wanted to see if your problem only occurs on Win7, but I can (happily?) report that XP SPIII returns the following error:

Could not start the Dibbler - a DHCPv6 server service on Local Computer.
Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

After seeing that error, I would suggest to use a tool that checks for (static and dynamic) dependencies like 'Dependency Walker' (freeware, portable, runs on XP and higher).

On my system DW said that the msjava.dll was missing in the dibbler folder. Got that one from the net and used the Dependency Walker again.
Now the following error was returned by DW:
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.
and the icon from 'mpr.dll' is colored red(-dish).

Hope it helps.

Alas, my brain starts to succumb heavily to the charms of the (mighty) mistress called sleep. However, I think that with DW you'll get a better idea of why the service is failing.