ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Book: Learn Python the Hard Way

(1/2) > >>

ewemoa:
Has any one here read "Learn Python the Hard Way"?

Some quotes from the site:

The book is a very beginner book for people who want to learn to code. If you can already code then the book will probably drive you insane. It's intended for people who have no coding chops to build up their skills before starting a more detailed book.

--- End quote ---

The book is also free for people to read because I love programming and want more people to love programming:

Learn Python The Hard Way (pdf)

The book is free to read and give to anyone so long as you do not charge for it and you give them the entire book.

--- End quote ---

The book is very simple:

52 exercises in all.
    26 cover just input/output, variables, and functions.
    26 cover logic (boolean algebra, if-statements, while-loops, etc.)

Each exercise is one or two pages and follows the exact same format. You type each one in (no copy-paste!), make it run, do the extra credit, and then move on. If you get stuck, at least type it in and skip the extra credit for later.

--- End quote ---

Renegade:
This simple book is meant to get you started in programming. The title says it’s the hard way to learn to write code;
but it’s actually not. It’s only the “hard” way because it’s the way people used to teach things.
--- End quote ---

Old skool~! :D

ewemoa:
Yes, but with recent technology ;)

From Exercise 1:

Finally, it prints out a “SyntaxError” and tells us something about what might be the error. Usually these are very cryptic, but if you copy that text into a search engine, you will find someone else who’s had that error and you can probably figure out how to fix it.

--- End quote ---

Carol Haynes:
Alternative method which is much more fun: http://tinyurl.com/5bzs2j

Jibz:
I find it odd that a new guide teaches people python 2, I would have imagined it would make more sense to get new programmers to adopt python 3?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version