ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Superboyac's backup strategy revisited (revised for 2011)

<< < (4/4)

superboyac:
Here's the Oops!Backup  link :
I re-read parts of the thread again and it certainly didn't convince me to try oops again. They'd really need to work on some of the mentioned problems... For smallerish files, it should be okay though.

===

It's interesting for me to see how I tried so many options during the last few years and just went back to my original "no fuss" solution -- full proof, simple, efficient. The only I added to the mix are online syncing ingredients like SpiderOak (not always completely reliable unfortunately...).

I don't think I'll come back to that "backup struggle" until next summer, when I'll need extra storage... Way too time consuming... Need to get some stuff done!!!!  :'(
-Armando (June 21, 2011, 03:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks Armando, I'll have to read that.  Yeah, I'm struggling with the same issues.  I'm surprised about Oops because it seems like they have good customer support and are diligent with addressing issues.  But I trust you more than the other stuff I read!

Armando:
You could still test it though. But test it in a realistic setup, with databases and other bigger files. This is where the problems started -- versions pile up and take a huge amount of hard drive space. And then it's not that intuitive to get rid of versions etc. Well, it wasn't... Don't know if it is now.

I'll just quote J-MAC from the other thread (I hope he doesn't mind...) :

Also it has difficulties - big difficulties - deleting old backups. My backup storage grew a little too big too fast for my liking so I wanted to reduce its size. If you delete the oldest backups from within Oops it slows to a crawl. E.g., deleting less than a week's worth of backups Oops took over 20 minutes just to select the old backups! Then a couple hours - running at 75 to 85% CPU trying to delete them. It was unresponsive for so long I finally gave up and killed the process - and the service, too - and then just went into DOpus and manually deleted the files and folders. Manually. Took all of < 1 minute.

Then last night I noticed that the Oops storage area had increased by an additional 145 GB! I found a folder named "Recovered Files" in the Oops Profile folder. Why? I don’t know yet. I deleted that too.

It just doesn’t act like most other backup programs I have used, and it doesn’t allow you to freely change, delete, pause, etc.; all features that Altaro really needs to implement in order to make it a usable product IMO. I'm awaiting the next reply from support to see what I do from here.
-J-Mac (February 03, 2011, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Personally, I like having as much control as I can... At least in that area of my life.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version