ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Superboyac's backup strategy revisited (revised for 2011)

<< < (2/4) > >>

superboyac:
Thanks Java!  That's a lot of food for thought.  Also, 40..thanks, as always!  (One day I'm going to steal your knowledge database wherever you keep all your links and notes and stuff.  I know you have something somewhere...)

Looks like you guys have given me some things to investigate.  I will do it gladly.  I'm not 100% sold on the imaging thing, so if there are alternatives to achieving the Time-Machine like versioning, I'm all for it.

JavaJones:
I would venture to say that full system imaging is in fact more the "alternative to achieving" and *other* methods are actually more common for achieving versioning. If full system images aren't important for immediate restore to the current OS state, then they may be more hassle than they're worth.

- Oshyan

superboyac:
I would venture to say that full system imaging is in fact more the "alternative to achieving" and *other* methods are actually more common for achieving versioning. If full system images aren't important for immediate restore to the current OS state, then they may be more hassle than they're worth.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (May 19, 2011, 07:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's my belief also.  I'm checking out your Crashplan recommendation.  It's pretty good!  My initial impression is that it seems a little TOO simple for me, but that's just an assumption.  If it can do everything I want, that's all I need.  I like the window where you can choose which file to restore (from the history of that file).  Pretty good stuff.  I'd like to explore some more alternatives and think about it, but it seems to be a solid choice.

JavaJones:
Unfortunately CrashPlan does not offer a direct sync option. If it did it would be all the backup software I need. So my own backup strategy involves a separate sync app and then CrashPlan for local backup, versioning, and cloud backup.

- Oshyan

superboyac:
Hey!  Oops!Backup seems to be excellent:
http://www.altaro.com/

Maybe that's the one!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version