ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

So Apple really is a religious thing...

<< < (10/12) > >>

Stoic Joker:
It's really just history repeating itself. We're right back to 1975 as DRM has become the digital equivalent of the grenade prone 8-Track tapes.

Deozaan:
This explains a lot:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/apple-causes-religious-reaction-in-brains-of-fans-say-neuroscientists/
-JavaJones (May 19, 2011, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Either the article was poorly written (by not explaining the scientific process of the study very well), or (in my opinion) the science is bad.

So a (single, one, individual) self-proclaimed Apple fanatic who claims to think about Apple 24 hours each day looks at some Apple related images and parts of his brain light up. The scientists then compare the images of his brain activity to images of brain activity that religious people had when looking at images of religion. And this proves what exactly?

First of all, I know lots of religious people and I doubt any single one of them would claim to think about their religion 24 hours per day as the Apple fanatic does.

Secondly, how is the image of the brain activity any indicator that this is their "non-logical" parts of their brains? Maybe it's the "image-processing and interpretation" part of the brain. You know, from looking at pictures and images and processing them into some kind of meaning.

Admittedly I don't like Apple very much and I enjoy a good Apple bash here and there (they certainly deserve it!) but I'm not convinced by this article and I see it as a lame excuse to bash Apple by taking a single individual who is at the extreme end of the obsession spectrum and applying that to everyone who likes Apple.

That would be like taking the few people who honestly believed the so called rapture would happen yesterday and saying all Christians are as extreme as that.

It's a straw-man argument and doesn't hold up against even the smallest amount of scrutiny.

Renegade:
@Deozaan  - True. But it's still funny! :)

JavaJones:
Aww, you're taking all the fun out of it Deo! ;)

- Oshyan

Renegade:
One thing that truly is fun -- Helping to convert Apple users away from Apple~!  ;D  8)

Hehehehehehe~!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version