ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

So Apple really is a religious thing...

<< < (7/12) > >>

nudone:
Going to watch it on the iPlayer now...

zridling:

Pic unrelated. This just in: The human brain is extremely susceptible to liking the things it likes to like!  :P
I also think this is what a couple of great 20th century philosophers, Alfred North Whitehead and Martin Heidegger, wrote of in our tendency to mistake novelty for meaning (Whitehead), i.e., "the next new thing" is always better and will always make me better. If not, it will at least make me feel better. Heidegger thought that Technologie, or Technik, lures us into thinking of everything -- even our selves -- as things: "I'm only worth what I own, what I carry, what I have, what I can buy...."

Although I don't fall for gadgets -- a better mousetrap is attractive, look at HDTV for instance. I spend money on the right tools in my garage. Unlike an electronic gadget, however, if the tool is well built and well designed, I never have to buy that tool again in my life. And don't we all have our one hobby or interest that we've spent stupid amounts of money on? (For me, it's books by Proust and about his novel.) I plead guilty as hell.

But this Apple obsession, well, that's just insane, right? ha.

Stoic Joker:
I spend money on the right tools in my garage. Unlike an electronic gadget, however, if the tool is well built and well designed, I never have to buy that tool again in my life.-zridling (May 20, 2011, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Damn Straight! I was a mechanic years ago, and I still have tools that I bought in my teens that are still just as good as they were the day I bought them!  :Thmbsup:

40hz:
^Same goes for most musical instruments and equipment.

All the guitars, basses, percussion and wind instruments, as well as the non-electronic keyboards I've ever purchased are still going strong. Same goes for most of the instrument amplifiers of which virtually all were based on the same simple tube circuit (i.e. Bassman) developed by Leo Fender & Co. back in the 50's. About half of my collection has had previous owners. And barring the eminent end of the universe scheduled for tomorrow evening, most will probably survive me to go on serving their purposes for many years to come.

Which is more than I can say for most of the 'modern' music tech I've owned.  ;D

Stoic Joker:
^Same goes for most musical instruments and equipment.-40hz (May 20, 2011, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

...And my almost 25 year old Harley Davidson, which is probably worth more now than it sold for new back in 1987.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version