ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

So Apple really is a religious thing...

<< < (4/12) > >>

nudone:
I don't think we need to start becoming apologists for Apple - you lot are going soft in the head :-)

I use my iPad, everyday BUT I know it's rubbish. Well, maybe not total utter rubbish, I wouldn't use it if it was but as a product from the "gods" of design, i.e. Apple, I honestly think it's a total joke.

Honestly, there's nothing good about an iPad other than it being a tablet. It would be nothing without a few decent apps available for it. It WILL be so easy to make a tablet a million times better than the iPad, simply by making one that takes into account people are going to use their fingers to poke it. I honestly believe the Apple designers never tested the iPad for more than a few minutes - sure, they tested it in a virtual way, on a Mac (or pc) using a mouse to click the simulation with. They didn't use the real hardware for testing as after a few minutes they'd have realised the interface totally sucks when trying to do anything with text - or hit buttons with anything wider than a pencil tip.

And, and, I've recently experienced the totally sucks balls nature of OS file storage. I tried out a few mp3 player apps in an attempt to avoid itunes - none of these mp3 players is aware that there are mp3 files already on the machine, they are also blind to each others mp3 files - how. dumb. is. that. It's beyond moronic - totally utter crap.

I know a few Apple fans too. They've moved away from using PCs because PCs were "too much trouble", "too many infections", "Apple just works". We need the Myth Busters TV show to do an expose on Apple products - maybe then people will start to see through the myth and stop lying to themselves. Hmm, maybe not, well, of course not.

JavaJones:
Carol, I was referring mostly to industrial design, and specifically to products like the MacBook Pro series and their MacPro desktop/workstations. The aluminum chassis of the MacBook Air is a good example. The iPhone seems to be a bit better designed and using nicer materials than the average Android (or other) phone too.

- Oshyan

Stoic Joker:
The aluminum chassis of the MacBook Air is a good example.-JavaJones (May 19, 2011, 05:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is? Maybe if the objective is style over substance. *Shrug* But IIRC they have a rather bad history of broken screens. Something about thin & rigid (being opposites) not mixing well.

Sure it's just dandy if you wan't to stand there and pose with it. But get some work done? Well you just plug in your... (oh wait) never mind...  :D

JavaJones:
I hadn't heard about the broken screens, so maybe the Air isn't the best examples, but I believe the rest of the MacBook Pro line is also metal chassis and I do like that in a laptop. Thinkpads are built that way and as far as I know they don't have screen breaking problems. In general I do find the apparent (not necessarily the same as *actual*) build quality to be good on Apple products. On the other hand I have heard of the iPhone screen breaking issues, among many others. Not to mention that their "good" design often comes with issues like sealed units without user-replaceable batteries. So it's not all good.

Anyway perhaps the point is that the lower price for many other laptops with similar specs does often come with cheaper materials (not necessarily worse), e.g. plastic cases that flex when you hold them from the edge, keyboards with flex, hinges that aren't smooth, cases that squeak when you press on them, etc.

- Oshyan

Stoic Joker:
True. Kind of a Cadillac vs. a pickup truck kind of thing. Sure the caddy has prettier fit and finish ...But you can get stuff done with a pickup.

That's why I have a pickup. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version