ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

An Excellent Quote from the Opera CEO

(1/1)

Renegade:
This is excellent:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/16/us-summit-quotes-idUSTRE74F52X20110516

On location-based advertising: "For a lot of people, when they talk about location-based advertisement they talk about what I would call spam."
--- End quote ---

Hahahaha~! Nice! :)

zridling:
Here's the sickening pitch:
You're walking down the street. You pass a Starbucks. Mmm, that Triple Venti Nonfat Latte sure does look delicious, but you've only got three bucks on you. Maybe next time. But wait! You have a new text message -- "Save $1 on any Starbucks coffee" -- score! Maybe that Latte is within your grasp. Welcome to the world of location based mobile advertising.

The reality is more akin to Corporation A buying ads on your mobile network, and if you are within 20 miles of the thing, you get slammed with a dozen "Buy this now!" ads. (And you're also paying for that ad you don't want!)

Renegade:
And you're also paying for that ad you don't want!
-zridling (May 17, 2011, 07:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've noticed the CNET mobile site is streaming video ads now, which is bandwidth intensive, which of course I pay for. Sigh...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version