ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Easier way of learning HTML

<< < (2/2)

steeladept:
As I have mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I can't suggest strongly enough that you check out HTML Dog for the HTML4 & CSS.  The author has laid out a beautiful and simple tutorial that teaches these two topics together, the way they should be taught.  It also lends itself to XHTML which is syntactically and conceptually very similar to HTML4.  It is broken down into 6 parts (beginner, intermediate, advanced for HTML & CSS respectively) that not only teach you how to code correctly, but why it is correct and what to watch out for.  He also has a book that is essentially a paper reference of the same topics/subjects as the site provides.

It doesn't cover Javascript or HTML5 (at least not yet), and XML is only covered peripherally, but they are outside the scope of the site anyway.  Well HTML5 may not be, but that is new enough to be forgiven for the moment anyway. :P

Just for reference, W3 schools have been the preeminent resource everyone points to, but I always found them to be rather confusing or at very least not particularly conducive to learning.  It is obviously just me, but I have found this htmldog.com site to be MUCH easier covering much of the same information in a clearer and more concise manner.  Hope that helps.

Renegade:
As I have mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I can't suggest strongly enough that you check out HTML Dog for the HTML4 & CSS.  The author has laid out a beautiful and simple tutorial that teaches these two topics together, the way they should be taught. 
-steeladept (May 19, 2011, 01:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

That is very well laid out. I went through the beginner tutorials quickly, and it follows a nice progression.

techidave:
Download a copy of the excellent (and free!) 350-page The Web Book and work your way thought it. Info and download links can be found here.

Excellent guide.  :Thmbsup:

Update: I just noticed they've introduced a fee to download the PDF since I got my copy. the online version is still available at no charge. I'm sure there are also websites that still have the PDF free for download if it's a problem for people on a really tight budget. Send the author your thanks with a small contribution once your finances improve if you go that route.  :Thmbsup:
-40hz (May 18, 2011, 12:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I just downloaded it off of that site without first paying a fee.  I didn't even have to give my email address.   :)

40hz:

@techidave - Cool! Guess they changed their mind about it. Their webpage said:

You can read the book online free of charge, or you can download the complete PDF file for a small charge. Refer to the links on the right hand side of the page.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the update. :)

techidave:
I saw that too 40hz.  And I thought, what the heck let's give it a try first.  Viola!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version