ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

PC Lock software for "Free"

(1/2) > >>

xtabber:
Laplink Software is giving away their new disk encryption software PC Lock for free ("Regularly $29.95") today as an introductory offer.

So why am I not posting this in Deals and Discounts?

Because of the following in the user's guide (but not on the web page):

IMPORTANT:  When you purchase PC Lock, you are purchasing a single
  license.  This license is a 12 month subscription to PC Lock.  For
  complete details, refer to the End User License Agreement (EULA).

If you would like to uninstall PC Lock, you must be running PC Lock and
  logged on.  If your subscription ends and you have not uninstalled the
  program, all your files will remain encrypted.  You must extend your
  subscription to PC Lock or contact customer service to gain access to
  your encrypted files

Most of the other software titles from Laplink are also on sale today for up to 75% off, if you think you can trust these folk.

worstje:
I can't say I approve of those tactics. So you run out of subscription, or hell maybe they go bankrupt, and your files are forever held hostage. Corporations only want money, and spending resources on people who aren't customers anymore is a way to lose money, so obviously you cannot expect them to help you out.

The way I see it, it should always be able to uninstall post-subscription period assuming you enter your password. This software is totally a no-no for me: I don't like hostage-subscription-ware no matter how small or crazy the situation has to be for it to actually turn into that.

40hz:
Two words (besides the obvious two): Axcrypt and Truecrypt.  :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker:
WoW! ...Extortion Much?

Thanks for the warning!

40hz:
WoW! ...Extortion Much?

Thanks for the warning!
-Stoic Joker (May 16, 2011, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think it's extortion even if it is a jive move on their part. The do have this proviso:

You must extend your subscription to PC Lock or contact customer service to gain access to your encrypted files
--- End quote ---

I doubt they'd refuse to let you in at all. (Probably be illegal for them to do that anyway.) I'm guessing they'll issue you a time-limited key to get your stuff decrypted and do an uninstall if you call. But likely not before they first subjected you to a high pressure sales pitch to extend your subscription. Probably offer it on a sliding discount scale depending upon your degree of resistance too. ("OK Bud, this is our 25th and absolute final offer. And this time we really mean it!"  :mrgreen:)

But that's still hokey and best avoided. Most other companies that offer subscriptions only shut off your ability to add new files when your subscription expires. I've never heard of anybody requiring you contact customer service in order to uninstall a program or get your data out of it because of that...

Big thumbs down!

Laplink's been around for years too! They should know better than to do something like this. :down: :down:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version