topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 9:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DONE: Open images without program window showing.  (Read 120224 times)

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
DONE: Open images without program window showing.
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:06 AM »
OS - XP SP3.

I am trying to find a way of opening images without showing anything around them, i.e. a program window.
The intention is to trigger them using a batch file.

All my attempts so far have resulted in opening the default image viewer and although I have tried several they all have a window.
The nearest I have got is a program called First Impression which just shows the file name and the image size (in % of original) as well as the image, this does disappear after a time but I would prefer not to get it, in fact I would prefer something separate from the default viewer.

One option I would like is to be able to open different images in different locations on the screen and they would need to open in their original size.
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
Re: DONE: Open images without program window showing.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 10:30 AM »
http://www.noping.net/kent/osiva/

Also, see https://www.donation...99.msg70010#msg70010

Thank you very much.

I have downloaded Osiva and when I get the time will see what I can do with it, from the link it seems to be mainly for opening a number of images at the same time while my need is to open individual images separately as visual warnings.
Another thing I need to work out are the instructions for the batch files as my knowledge of programming is non-existent.
I am not sure that there is anything in the second link that will help.

When I have checked things out I will get back to you.
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 07:16 AM »
Checked out both links more thoroughly but not found what I am looking for, I need something very simple.

To try to make it clearer the batch files I am using generally look like this:
(Simplified version.)

run
"C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\1.JPG"

I have different images that give notification of different events that trigger independently some by time, some by an action.
Most of them contain text and I tend to make them just large enough to contain it so they are different sizes.
The problems are that I have not found a way of viewing them without seeing the viewing program as well as the image and if two or more images open at once they open on top of each other.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 06:16 PM »
you could try ArtSage.  It's an image viewer, but it presents the image full frame and without any visible toolbars etc.  Downside here is that it doesn't appear to display multiple images concurrently

another alternative may be Osiva.  This one seems to display images as separate instances (at their 'original' size).  It does display a floating toolbar, though you may be able to hide it (I didn't try)

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 07:20 AM »
you could try ArtSage.  It's an image viewer, but it presents the image full frame and without any visible toolbars etc.  Downside here is that it doesn't appear to display multiple images concurrently

another alternative may be Osiva.  This one seems to display images as separate instances (at their 'original' size).  It does display a floating toolbar, though you may be able to hide it (I didn't try)

Thanks.

ArtSage turned out to be a newer version of ArtSee which I already have.
Osiva I looked at yesterday but it never fitted the bill.

Part of the problem is that the only way I have managed to get this to work at all is by using a single program, till now First Impression, set as the default image viewer, but that opens all images in the same place, i.e. on top of each other if there is more than one at a time.
Osiva on the other hand opens images in different places but it opens them all at once, not one at a time which is what I need.

I have a small portable audible alarm program that will only activate once and then has to be reset, I can however create multiple instances of the EXE file (1.exe, 2.exe, etc) and set them all to different times.
I wondered if there was a small portable image viewer that could be used in the same way to set different positions.
Small being the operative word as the main use for this is on a netbook with limited resources.

The problem with that is I am using the batch files to trigger a specific image which in turn is picking up the default viewer.
If my idea was possible I would need a way to trigger a specific version of both the viewer and the image which is beyond my understanding of batch files.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 09:14 AM »
I have a working proof-of-concept app, called Frameless, written for you.  Some notes/questions:

1) This will be a commandline app that you can call from your batch file.  The syntax will be:

c:\path\to\Frameless.exe "<image path>" <x coord> <y coord>

2) Did you want taskbar buttons shown for each image?

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 09:45 AM »
2) Did you want taskbar buttons shown for each image?

Hi,

The only option I need is to be able to turn images off, one at a time if several show at once.
For my purposes this could be either from a taskbar button or the image itself.
The only use I could think of for taskbar buttons would be to minimize/maximize images which would be handy but not essential.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 10:10 AM »
The only option I need is to be able to turn images off, one at a time if several show at once.
For my purposes this could be either from a taskbar button or the image itself.
The only use I could think of for taskbar buttons would be to minimize/maximize images which would be handy but not essential.
-pilgrim-online (May 18, 2011, 09:45 AM)

There are currently two ways to close a displayed image: 1) Pressing escape with the image focused or 2) Using the right-click context menu.  Also, since there is no border or titlebar, I've made it so that you can simply left-click and hold to drag the image around.

Give it a shot:  Frameless download
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:19 AM by skwire »

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Frameless works well if I set it as the default viewer, if not it opens the default viewer along with the image.

I will give it another go tomorrow, my usual default viewer First Impression gives a preview if you hold the curser over a file, which I make quite a lot of use of.

Being able to put the images in different positions is great.

Is there any way of separating the default viewer from the one I use in the batch files?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 11:50 AM »
In your batch file, call it explicitly.  Something like this:

c:\path\to\Frameless.exe c:\path\to\image.ext 100 100

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 05:43 AM »
I have spent an hour trying a variety of settings with the following results:

Actual batch file in use:

C:\Documents and Settings\Pilgrim\My Documents\Received Files\Frameless\Frameless.exe
"C:\Documents and Settings\Pilgrim\My Documents\Received Files\001_screenshot_1.jpg" 100 100

This will open the image in whatever viewer is set as the default (tried several), it also opens the image in the default position of whatever viewer it opens, i.e. First Impression opens in the centre of the screen regardless of the coordinates in the file.

If I set Frameless as the default viewer the image always opens top left.
When I tested this yesterday I left out the position settings as I was short of time so it defaulted to that position anyway but I have since tried adding them and no matter what they are it makes no difference to the image.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 05:57 AM »
Actual batch file in use:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Pilgrim\My Documents\Received Files\Frameless\Frameless.exe"
"C:\Documents and Settings\Pilgrim\My Documents\Received Files\001_screenshot_1.jpg" 100 100

The exe path has spaces, so should be quoted as well. (corrected above)

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 06:11 AM »
Tried that, still doing the same thing?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 07:32 AM »
The command needs to be all on the same line:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Pilgrim\My Documents\Received Files\Frameless\Frameless.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Pilgrim\My Documents\Received Files\001_screenshot_1.jpg" 100 100

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 08:21 AM »
The way it is shown in my previous post there is just a single space after the first line as it would be if it was all on one line.

When I opened Notepad full screen it put 'Files\001_screenshot_1.jpg" 100 100' on the second line.

If I open Notepad to the size I normally use it at I finish up with this:

"C:\Documents and
Settings\Pilgrim\My
Documents\Received
Files\Frameless\Frameless.exe"
"C:\Documents and
Settings\Pilgrim\My
Documents\Received
Files\001_screenshot_1.jpg" 100

If I save the file using either of these options it will not run at all.
I even copied and pasted the command from your last post and that would not run.

I have experienced this with other batch files I have created and the only way out that I have found if they do not run is to check the spaces at the end of each line.

Forgive my lack of knowledge but I have a question:

If I double click on Frameless.exe it opens an information window.
If I remove the second part of the command from the batch file should that not do the same?
Because if I run the batch file without the image path the command window flashes on and off and nothing else happens.

I have just tried this with two other image viewers and they both opened the program window?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 09:08 AM »
I recreated your folder path and files on my computer and it seems to work just fine.   :huh:

2011-05-19_090038.pngDONE: Open images without program window showing.

Can anybody else test this with a batch file and paths that have spaces in them?

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 09:42 AM »
Problem Solved!

After reading your last post I went right back to the beginning and started again.
I moved the program file and the image to a different folder and put them together.
I deleted the batch file and it's shortcut, rewrote the first and recreated the second.

Everything works!

I have no idea which part of that changed things and I can only apologise for what must have been my mistake although I am not aware of having done anything different from the first time.

Frameless does exactly what I wanted in a simple straightforward manner, thank you.

This is the second time you have helped me and it is much appreciated.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 01:20 PM »
Frameless[/b] does exactly what I wanted in a simple straightforward manner, thank you.
This is the second time you have helped me and it is much appreciated.
-pilgrim-online (May 19, 2011, 09:42 AM)

No need to apologise and you're very welcome.  I'm happy to be able to help out.  I've decided to pretty this up a bit and release it on my main site.  Bear in mind that I did change up the commandline syntax a little bit so I hope you haven't gotten too far into your batch files.  I also made the taskbar button an option as well.  Please check the readme.txt for details.

2011-05-19_123216.pngDONE: Open images without program window showing.

Website | Download
v1.0.1 - 2011-05-19
    + Website release.
    * Changed the parameter syntax.

v1.0.0 - 2011-05-18
    + Initial forum builds.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:22 PM by skwire »

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 01:22 PM »
pilgrim-online - another suggestion, though a bit late (especially after skwire's hard work...) : ImageOpen

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 01:25 PM »
pilgrim-online - another suggestion, though a bit late (especially after skwire's hard work...) : ImageOpen

Nice find!  As for my app, you'd be surprised how little code there is in it so no worries.   :D

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 05:27 AM »
Bear in mind that I did change up the commandline syntax a little bit so I hope you haven't gotten too far into your batch files.

I want this for my Netbook but all the trials have been carried out on my PC so nothing is set.

I also made the taskbar button an option as well.  Please check the readme.txt for details.

I may stick to the original as having got it working I am not sure that I need the additions but I shall try both before I decide.

Just like waiting for a bus, nothing for ages and then three come along at once.

How did he make that program so small?

I have downloaded a copy to have a look at but the first problem that I can see is how to create a batch file that will open it with 'No Border' set, as every time you start the program it resets to the default.
I have also downloaded a copy of CaptureScreen to compare it with what I already have.

Thank you again skwire for the program and your time, thank you joiwind for a very useful link, and thank you to the others for their input.

One question in conclusion; does anyone know of an elementary tutorial on writing batch files?
Some of what I found is extremely comprehensive but most of it is way over my head.
What I need is something that offers working examples that I can then try to modify myself.

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 03:08 AM »
how about maxview by faststone? You'll have to see the documentation for the commandline parameters

Also for scripts, if you are using win7 and up, I'd recommend use powershell. If this is only for your computer you could also use other scripting languages by installing their runtime, python, ruby ...etc, they would be overkill but would work well and expand even better. This is if you know programming languages already.

skwire would recommend ahk as well as that is what he used to create the app. 

as for examples, first link on google is this which looks good.
"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 04:24 AM »
vixay,

Thank you for your reply.

maxview is way too big, not to mention the cost.

As I put at the top of my original post my OS is XP-SP3 and any sort of programming beyond very basic batch files is beyond me although I have had a look at AHK since skwire suggested it.

Frameless does everything I wanted in my original post and from my point of view I doubt it could be improved on, it's small, it allows me to position images exactly where I want them, the only addition that I can think of would be to set the images to close after a given period which I might look into when I have the time, for now I settle for closing them manually.

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 07:35 AM »
oh see this https://www.donation....msg162996#msg162996
I forgot that it had gone payware later. Anyway I am glad it worked out for you.

skwire, what did you use to write frameless? I don't see any source in the bundle or link on the website, I'd thought you'd done it in AHK and was curious to look at the code.
"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me