ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

functional C# class/component to upload to my DC space via explicit FTP over TLS

<< < (6/10) > >>

kyrathaba:
This database would hold the submitted files?

mouser:
you wont be storing submitted files.  you will be storing HIGH SCORE DATA in a database.  And your desktop app won't be submitting FILES it will be submitting a simple http request with the users score submission data.

it's really much simpler than you are thinking, and it will all start to make sense as you learn about it.  but you'll need to stop thinking in terms of files moving around.

kyrathaba:
Ah, I get it!  Yeah, I've been making it way harder than it is.  I keep thinking in terms of files because

(a) you'd send me a "file" via email
(b) my desktop apps deal with "files"

But all the webpage script needs is the data that's in the files.  Sweet.

So the database you'd eventually create would only be for my game's highscore data, right?  And later, if I had another project that needed such web-reciprocity, it'd use a different database (understanding, of course, that it might be possible that some apps could share certain databases, depending on circumstances).

mouser:
Databases hold "tables" which are like the tables in a spreadsheet, with columns (fields) and rows.

So you can actually put lots of different tables for different projects in the same single database.

But in general people tend to use separate databases for different large projects.  So a wordpress blog, or this forum, uses one database to store all of its many tables, and that database does not contain tables for other projects.

For small experimental projects, you would probably use one database for all of them, using different tables for your different experiments.

kyrathaba:
Do I want to install the three services shown in this setup screen?  Or will each be activated 'as needed' if I don't make them services?  In short, I don't mind installing them as services if they'll avoid headaches as I learn PHP.  But, if the differences would be transparent to me, I'd just soon not install them as services.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version