ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

email troubles

(1/3) > >>

Target:
hoping someone here may be able to assist with an issue we've just started experiencing at home

intermittent emails are 'hanging' the receive process, ie when an offending email is encountered the process hangs and we cannot download any further messages.

Happens on both PC's at our house (XP SP3 with outlook express, and Vista with windows mail, and now Live Mail).

Stopping and restarting has no effect.

Messages are accessible via webmail, but there is nothing untoward in them that I can see.

None of the messages are large (we're stuck with dialup so anything much more than a meg gets deleted out of hand), and there does not appear to be any consistency between the offenders - the senders, sizes, etc all vary (in fact we received one message from a particular sender fine, but the next one - 24hrs later - failed)

I've checked all the settings (nothing has been changed) and as far as I can see everything should be fine. Beyond this I have no idea how to even begin troubleshooting this

Any ideas?

ewemoa:
If there is no SSL involved, perhaps you might get some further details by running the likes of Wireshark or SmartSniff to capture the network traffic for closer inspection.

Ath:
You could contact your ISP and explain your problem? Can be a network issue on their side.

Curt:
I would first quickly see if it is the AntiVirus causing the problems: First check the mails ready at the ISP server, to estimate if they are clean, then close the AV, maybe restart the email client, and then hit send/receive.

Target:
I would first quickly see if it is the AntiVirus causing the problems: First check the mails ready at the ISP server, to estimate if they are clean, then close the AV, maybe restart the email client, and then hit send/receive.
-Curt (May 13, 2011, 04:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

already tried this, no luck (thanks for the suggestion though)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version