ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

What "Laws" Would You Be Comfortable With?

<< < (2/2)

Stoic Joker:
as a web page:
http://www.constitution.org/law/bastiat.htm
-rxantos (May 17, 2011, 01:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the link - I Just love this part:
Now since man is naturally inclined to avoid pain -- and since labor is pain in itself -- it follows that men will resort to plunder whenever plunder is easier than work. History shows this quite clearly. And under these conditions, neither religion nor morality can stop it.

When, then, does plunder stop? It stops when it becomes more painful and more dangerous than labor.

It is evident, then, that the proper purpose of law is to use the power of its collective force to stop this fatal tendency to plunder instead of to work. All the measures of the law should protect property and punish plunder.

--- End quote ---

Plunder stops when it becomes more painful and more dangerous than labor.

Now that's beautifully simple and quite clear ... I think I'll have it engraved on my gun.  :D

Renegade:
as a web page:
http://www.constitution.org/law/bastiat.htm
-rxantos (May 17, 2011, 01:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the link - I Just love this part:
Now since man is naturally inclined to avoid pain -- and since labor is pain in itself -- it follows that men will resort to plunder whenever plunder is easier than work. History shows this quite clearly. And under these conditions, neither religion nor morality can stop it.

When, then, does plunder stop? It stops when it becomes more painful and more dangerous than labor.

It is evident, then, that the proper purpose of law is to use the power of its collective force to stop this fatal tendency to plunder instead of to work. All the measures of the law should protect property and punish plunder.

--- End quote ---

Plunder stops when it becomes more painful and more dangerous than labor.

Now that's beautifully simple and quite clear ... I think I'll have it engraved on my gun.  :D
-Stoic Joker (May 17, 2011, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have a very real problem with this:

All the measures of the law should protect property and punish plunder.
--- End quote ---

Law should protect PEOPLE. That attitude is the one that lets lawyers run rampant protecting "property" through silly patents and whatnot.

But I do like the general sentiment in that quote. I've not had time to read the page itself yet, but it sounds like a very good read.

Stoic Joker:

--- End quote ---

Law should protect PEOPLE. That attitude is the one that lets lawyers run rampant protecting "property" through silly patents and whatnot.-Renegade (May 17, 2011, 08:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Quite true, but he covers that rather well earlier on. Including the lawyers part.

Renegade:

--- End quote ---

Law should protect PEOPLE. That attitude is the one that lets lawyers run rampant protecting "property" through silly patents and whatnot.-Renegade (May 17, 2011, 08:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Quite true, but he covers that rather well earlier on. Including the lawyers part.
-Stoic Joker (May 17, 2011, 09:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Get back to development... Read very tempting tidbit...

Man... You're making this decision harder & harder~! :)

Bookmarked -- I'll get back to it when I can sit, relax, and really read it well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version