ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

VoicePics - A Toy App that encourages toddlers to Babble

(1/7) > >>

mouser:
I want to give a little teaser for a new toy app i've been working on for very young kids who are just learning to start to speak.

It's based on my MultiPhotoQuotes engine.

Tentatively called "VoicePics", this program runs full screen (across multiple monitors if present) and listens for a child to speak or press a key.

If the program detects something being spoken, it finds the best match for a word it has photos for, and displays some random photos for that word, as well as the word text.
If a key on the keyboard is pressed, a word beginning with the pressed key is displayed, along with some photos for that word.

Users can add their own photos easily, so you can customize it with pictures of mom, dad, sister, brother, dog, cat, house, etc.  It will scan labeled photos on startup and add those words to its vocabulary.

It uses the microsoft speech recognition engine, which is ok but not ideal.  I wouldn't expect to be able to use this to teach any kid how to pronounce words -- it's more to encourage very young kids to babble and give them the experience of having what they speak affect what it shown in a semi-consistent manner.

If anyone has any kids of an appropriate age, message me and i'll give you a link to a beta version.

I hope people will help by making some additional image packs for the program from royalty free photo sources.

Sample screenshot:

I need suggestions for an official name for this -- the working title is "VoicePics" but i think it needs a better one.

mouser:
I should note that while this toy app is not suitable for teaching your kids how to pronounce words, it is very useful for preparing them at an early age for the frustrations of using a Speech Recognition system.  :huh:

app103:
I should note that while this toy app is not suitable for teaching your kids how to pronounce words, it is very useful for preparing them at an early age for the frustrations of using a Speech Recognition system.  :huh:
-mouser (May 12, 2011, 05:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Deozaan:
I need suggestions for an official name for this -- the working title is "VoicePics" but i think it needs a better one.-mouser (May 12, 2011, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

BabyBabble

cranioscopical:

BabyBabble

-Deozaan (May 12, 2011, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Or, playing off of that, The Babbling Book.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version