ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Steal like an artist, zombie lies, and why Microsoft is irrelevant

<< < (4/5) > >>

zridling:
Ben Brooks fleshes out the financial case since '04:

The Ballmer Days Are Over
http://brooksreview.net/2011/05/ballmer/

jgpaiva:
Zaine: as a researcher in Computer Science, I have seen several important articles by Microsoft, I have seen very good presentations by their employees and I know they give food for some of the best researchers in the world. The same applies to Google, Amazon and Facebook.

I have yet to see an article with Apple's name on it. From my point of view, the only 2 fields where they have innovated is marketing and design, and haven't shared their knowledge with anyone.

Honestly, I'm surprised that you, being a linux supported, are saying that you prefer Apple's R&D to Microsoft's R&D, since Apple share zero knowledge to help the community.

Disclaimer: I suppose this is only valid for my field of work, distributed systems.

Lashiec:
I don't think you can really compare R&D figures between the two different companies. As I understand, the R&D division at Apple is focused on researching new technologies that later can be used in any of Apple's current products, as well as trying to come up with new products that Apple could commercialize in the future. This approach is understandable considering Apple status as a consumer electronics company that specializes in a very narrow set of products.

Compare this with Microsoft's vast line of both consumer and business products. Its R&D division operates very much as a traditional laboratory in that much of what they research there it's not supposed to have a commercial application, maybe something will come out of it or not. Couple this with the encompassing nature of Microsoft's businesses, and it's natural their R&D figures end up being many times that of Apple's.

mahesh2k:
Honestly, I'm surprised that you, being a linux supported, are saying that you prefer Apple's R&D to Microsoft's R&D, since Apple share zero knowledge to help the community.
--- End quote ---
I second that. Microsoft has tools made for unix platform. Apple being UNIX/BSD fork, how much actively it is helping open source ? like say mono ? or to platforms that are base of apple core from open source code ?

Deozaan:
By the way, I had mixed reactions to the Steal Like An Artist article. I thought some of it was good, and some of it was uninteresting.

"Zombie Lie" is an interesting term I'll have to try to remember so I can use it. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version