ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Steal like an artist, zombie lies, and why Microsoft is irrelevant

<< < (3/5) > >>

Renegade:
They might have gone easy...but can we at least get some dinner because I like to be whined and dined when I get.....
-Josh (May 12, 2011, 07:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Bwahahahaha~!

That was awesome! Gotta love Cartman!

40hz:

I've never heard of Barry Ritholtz before... -Deozaan (May 12, 2011, 04:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Neither had I. But he (like Justin Beiber) apparently also has a following.

Read some of his commentary and other remarks. But for the life of me I can't really see what the big deal is about him. Most of what he has to say is 'old' and obvious to anyone who actively monitors the tech world. Maybe to the financial community (who are generally clueless about technology even though they never seem realize it) he sounds like some sort of prophet. But to me, he's just another snarky financial/investment pundit.

(40hz Definition: Pundit (noun) a loudmouth with an entourage. Positive proof you can fool some of the people all of the time - and make a living doing it! )

Renegade:
(40hz Definition: Pundit (noun) a loudmouth with an entourage. Positive proof you can fool some of the people all of the time - and make a living doing it! )
-40hz (May 12, 2011, 10:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

By any chance is your IRL name Ambrose? :D

(I like that definition!)

40hz:
-40hz (May 12, 2011, 10:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

By any chance is your IRL name Ambrose? :D

(I like that definition!)
-Renegade (May 12, 2011, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

No. But Mssr. Bierce is a major role model as you so cannily noticed.  ;D

zridling:
Barry Ritholtz is an investment guy who calls bullshit on the thieves and hucksters in the system. He's one of the good guys.

His point, however, is that the internet has largely made Microsoft's old business model irrelevant. That is, selling to businesses first since many business apps are only Windows compatible is still a viable business, but there's not a big future there. The proliferation of cloud computing has placed more business services in the browser, rather than in the data center, making it easier for businesses to let users choose their own devices. Thus why we all say that most of our time is spent accessing, sharing, or downloading data through the browser.

Then look at Microsoft's behavior this decade. In the past ten years, Microsoft has acquired nearly 10 times as many companies (104) as Apple (11), and spent nearly nine times as many dollars on research and development. Yet Microsoft's stock price performance is half the value it was 10 years ago, while Apple has soared to its current status as the world's most valuable tech firm.

Based on willingness to spend money, it would seem that Microsoft should be the more innovative company of the two. But Ritholtz is saying if you're investing, Microsoft is spending aircraft carriers of cash with nothing to brag about, much less put money back in the investor's pocket. (Microsoft spent $71 billion on research and development, compared with Apple's $8 billion.) If you're going to Ritholtz for investing advice, don't expect him to tell you throw your money away in Microsoft stock. He won't lie, and nor do the numbers.

That doesn't make Apple a better company. It just makes Forrest Gump a rich man again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version