ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SSD Drives - something to consider before taking the plunge

(1/8) > >>

xtabber:
Many tech pundits (who are generally no better informed than other pundits) tell us that within a few years, we will all be running on SSD drives and only using rotating media for videos and other huge infrequently accessed files.

This cautionary tale should make folks think twice about going that route, at least until SSD devices get a little more reliable.

Note that the author is so impressed with the speed of SSDs that he is willing to live with the risk of his data drowning in the bit bucket at any moment.   Can't say that I could work that way, even though I am religious about backing everything up frequently and keep ongoing work mirrored on two desktops and a laptop.

The sword of Damocles is just too distracting to be constantly worrying about, to say nothing of the cost.

phitsc:
The general consensus amongst my friends is to use SSDs for OS, applications and reproducible files (compilation etc.) but not for long-time data storage.

I think the important part in the referred article is the table that shows that most of the SSDs mentioned actually broke within the warranty period. I'd hate to have my massively expensive SSD fail shortly after loosing warranty ;)

Dormouse:
I use a SSD for my OS & apps; I don't use it for any data at all. I take and keep images of the SSD fairly frequently which I keep on HDDs. If/when the SSD fails, I will replace it with another. The speed of the SSD is well worth the higher price - to me anyway.

Deozaan:
$560 for 240GB? No wonder he heartily recommends them! He's using a referral link so he makes some commission off of every SSD someone buys due to his articles.

I can't afford to throw away that kind of money every 200 days or so.

Dormouse:
$560 for 240GB?
I can't afford to throw away that kind of money every 200 days or so.
-Deozaan (May 12, 2011, 05:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

But he's not throwing the money away. There is an advantage to things failing within the warranty period.

I was going to say that there can't be a real need for 240GB, but then I thought of apps that make massive use of lots of scattered bits of data files to work (eg DAWs). and I can see that I might start thinking that it might be worth it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version