ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Apples, Walled Gardens, and Screw Deals - Oh My!

<< < (3/5) > >>

Renegade:
I'll keep my opinion on Apple to myself rather than spew venom.

However, I will make a note that similar tactics have been used for a long time by large companies to drive smaller companies out of business.

Here's the Modus Operandi:

* Create big store
* Sell "bread and butter" products below what small stores can afford
* Wait for small stores to close
Small stores used to carry specialty items to keep customers happy and coming back. That doesn't happen anymore. You can't buy specialty items at retail now. You get $0.50 products for $12.95 instead, because there's nobody that can compete anymore. If you want a specialty item, well, get it online or don't get it because there are no stores anymore that serve customers. And no... I don't believe that a greeter or a forced smile is a substitute for competence.

Apple is doing the same thing -- making it impossible for anyone to do business except for them.

Yay. Capitalism at work. Making the markets "more efficient" because that's "good for consumers"...

Right.

Renegade:
I think this sums up a lot:

Sadly, the America that we thought we were working in turned out to be a totalitarian regime and the dictator decided that he wanted all of what we had. Our dream is now over.
--- End quote ---

For emailing:

If you think that this move by Apple is contrary to your interests as an iOS user then we urge you to email a complaint to Apple by clicking on the link below:

Email to: Steve Jobs, Philip Schiller, and Developer Programs at Apple ( [email protected] - [email protected] - [email protected] )
--- End quote ---

Apple makes it so hard to justify developing for their platforms...

40hz:
Apple makes it so hard to justify developing for their platforms...
-Renegade (May 12, 2011, 12:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's more accurate to say "impossible to justify" - unless your business 'plan' amounts to little more than: getting as much as possible for as long as possible* while waiting for the inevitable sucker punch.

----------

* Don't laugh. I saw that exact phrase in the business plan of a small tech start-up where it was listed as the key element in their overall strategy. Good grief! And these guys wondered why they were having so much trouble securing venture funding with something as unintentionally hilarious as that?  :mrgreen:

rxantos:
Why not simply stop developing for Apple and concentrate on the Android?

In fact, instead of writing to Apple (which will do no good), write to congress. Ask for a stronger anti-monopoly law. Make it so companies cannot disallow competitive stores.

If enough people do this, Apple will be forced to spend more money on government kickbacks to avoid an antimonopoly law. Everything will stay the same, but hey, you feel better.

Then again, who knows, car manufacturers had a monopoly on parts, and if you put even oil not made by the manufacturer, you lost the warranty. But congress made this illegal. So is possible that a pro consumer anti monopoly law can be passed.

Renegade:
Why not simply stop developing for Apple and concentrate on the Android?

In fact, instead of writing to Apple (which will do no good), write to congress. Ask for a stronger anti-monopoly law. Make it so companies cannot disallow competitive stores.

If enough people do this, Apple will be forced to spend more money on government kickbacks to avoid an antimonopoly law. Everything will stay the same, but hey, you feel better.

Then again, who knows, car manufacturers had a monopoly on parts, and if you put even oil not made by the manufacturer, you lost the warranty. But congress made this illegal. So is possible that a pro consumer anti monopoly law can be passed.
-rxantos (May 16, 2011, 03:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I posted here:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=26731.0

About a few things that I thought might be good for contract laws and EULAs. That could be a start to what isn't allowed. It would be nice if there were a law that you couldn't be a "super dick". Everyone can be a dick at times, but man... This takes the cake. Way over the top.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version