ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google's ChromeOS Laptops for $20/month

(1/3) > >>

zridling:

http://blogs.forbes.com/quentinhardy/2011/05/10/google-to-announce-chrome-laptops-20month/

Forbes announces that Google will announce a $20/month Chrome laptop offer today: "Having students try out the product — at a price cheaper than buying a laptop for school — amounts to a shakedown cruise for the eventual product. If successful, it also seeds the market for future demand, as students move into the workforce with expectations of working in cloud-based systems."
I might try this out if I'm not tethered to keeping it and paying for it in full. Overall, it's not cheaper than a cheap Windows laptop/netbook. And why do business idiots always crap statements like this out: "Google Apps, an online product with features similar to Microsoft Office...." Excuse me, Google Apps doesn't even pretend to be on the same planet as MS Office; why do business media fools write it?

Renegade:
...“student package”  that combines both hardware and online services, according to a senior Google executive.  The product is almost certainly a precursor to an enterprise offering.
--- End quote ---

Well, building up to it makes sense. We'll see though. I don't know anyone that uses Google Apps in the real world that doesn't prefer MS Office... Online makes sharing easier though. But I think I'd rather just see the ability to open a URL in Office and save it to the cloud. Oh, that's Sharepoint I believe... Or perhaps any one of a trillion issue trackers...

$20 is hard to beat though. Now, how much was that broadband connection? :D

zridling:
iFixit.com breaks down the Samsung Series 5 3G Chromebook:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung-Series-5-3G-Chromebook-Teardown/5939/1

Stoic Joker:
Is it just me or does the fact that a financial magazine (Forbs) is excitedly anouncing a technology item make anyone else a bit leary too?

*Shrug* But if it flies, it'll pretty much end the Linux is to complicated for the masses argument.

mouser:
Sounds like a brilliant idea to me on the part of google.  And a good deal for consumers, at least in the beginning.

Of course i'm assuming the plan is for google to subsidize these and just lose money on them for years until they can destroy the market for normal OS/laptops and make it unprofitable for their competition to stay in business.

What comes after that is anyone's guess -- though we shouldn't be surprised to eventually see advertisements on our laptop cases, boot screens, etc.

Yipee! Welcome to the future!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version