ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

My own posts showing up in Unread Posts - Am I the only one experiencing this?

(1/3) > >>

Deozaan:
The way I use the forums might be a bit odd. I pretty much only use the Unread Posts link (my bookmark is straight to that link!) so I can see what's changed since I last checked. I don't go looking into specific sections. In fact, I hardly pay attention to what section anything is in except for when I'm creating my own posts.

But ever since the DC server upgrade a couple months ago my own posts that I've just made will often show up in the Unread Posts. How can it be unread when I wrote it? But it gets worse. Even if I click on them to view them, or if I check the box and select "Mark selected posts as read" they will often still show up for in the unread posts. Eventually after trying multiple times it will "stick" and no longer show up on my unread posts list. I haven't been able to work out exactly what the pattern is, but it seems to be based more on time than the number of times I try to mark it as read. That is, if it's been a couple minutes since I made the post, then marking it as read will usually stick. But if I just made a post within the past 60 seconds then marking it as read is usually a fruitless endeavor.

It doesn't happen every time, but it happens often enough that it's become very annoying. Am I the only person experiencing this? I've been bugging mouser on IRC to fix it for a while but he doesn't know what's wrong.

mouser:
im fairly sure this is a bug that crops up because of the approximate way smf forums handled the markunread feature with such a large number of posts.  i think i remember seeing some discussion of it on the smf community forums.  see if you can find a thread discussing it that might have some clues.

Eóin:
The way I use the forums might be a bit odd. I pretty much only use the Unread Posts link (my bookmark is straight to that link!) so I can see what's changed since I last checked. I don't go looking into specific sections. In fact, I hardly pay attention to what section anything is in except for when I'm creating my own posts.-Deozaan (May 10, 2011, 08:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

If that's odd then I'm odd too, cause that's exactly how I browse the forum. Sorry for the OT :)

ewemoa:
I don't know if it's related but I noticed that my own posts show up under "Show new replies to your posts".  I don't remember it being this way before...but then my memory isn't the most reliable thing in the world :)

TucknDar:
The way I use the forums might be a bit odd. I pretty much only use the Unread Posts link (my bookmark is straight to that link!) so I can see what's changed since I last checked. I don't go looking into specific sections. In fact, I hardly pay attention to what section anything is in except for when I'm creating my own posts.-Deozaan (May 10, 2011, 08:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

If that's odd then I'm odd too, cause that's exactly how I browse the forum. Sorry for the OT :)
-Eóin (May 10, 2011, 09:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Me too (both the browsing and the being sorry for OT part)  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version