topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Script or software that scans lines of text and reports no. of syllables  (Read 6635 times)

Dochappy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've tried several services online that will determine the number of syllables within each line of text but most are not very accurate and I have to be online to use them.

What I'm thinking  is have the program load a .txt file of your choice(or copy and paste the text) then the program would determine  syllables in each line. In each line the syllables within each word will be shown  using  "|" and at the end of each line the number of syllables will be like this (5)

In a perfect world if it could mark stressed and unstressed syllables  by underlining or bolding the stressed syllable putting the unstressed one in italics. but I don't think that's possible. Heck maybe the whole thing  is a bigger feat that I'm thinking.

I've been wanting something like this for a while so that after i write my poetry  it quickly  denotes the syllables so next time I look at it I won't have to scan the poem myself.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
That's the kind of thing that a commercial dictionary software author might do.

Without a solid dictionary, it's impossible.

With a solid dictionary, it's problematic. e.g. How do you pronounce:

• URL
  • SQL
  • etc.

There are some words that have a different number of syllables in different English accents as well, though I can't recall any at the moment.

Stress is another thing... And even more problematic as it differs more in different accents.

Accuracy would be very difficult, and the amount of research that it takes to get a high level of accuracy is prohibitive for any small software guys. You need specialized skills, linguistics, to approach the topic.

Now, there may be some grammar/spell checkers that could speed things up, but unless they also include pronunciation keys... Then if you did have pronunciation keys, you still need them for different accents.

e.g.

"water" -- In North American English the medial "T" is glottalized, making it sound like a "D", while in other accents, it's not, and is pronounced as a "T".

"schedule" in North American English begins as "sk", while in others begins as a harder "sh".

I'm drawing a blank on words with different numbers of syllables at the moment...

Ah... "poem". Po-em or pome?

There are others.

If you have a dictionary available, and it includes pronunciation keys, then the job becomes easier -- though the accuracy could be suspect in some places.

Here's some info:

http://www.phonicson...eb.com/syllables.php

It's a good general guide, but English really is a bastard language, made up of a bunch of others, and consequently it has a lot of "exceptions". (Not really though as it's just a matter of mis-applying the proper rule, e.g. "to boldly go" is correct English grammar, but incorrect Latin.)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Dochappy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you. I understand now. I figured it would be hard but didn't  know it would  so much. lol.  Appreciate the link bookmarking it now.  ;D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Dochappy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you! think this will do nicely gonna test it out a bit but from the looks of it might work lol

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice find, MilesAhead.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ever helpful, MilesAhead!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dochappy, let us know how this app worked out for you when you're done testing it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Dochappy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Been quite busy as soon as I get a chance I'll test it out and post my opinions. thanks again for the link.

Dochappy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Source
He jests at scars that never felt a wound.
 1   2   3    4    5    6-7   8   9   10

and here is the  output I get from WordCreator
He jests at s|cars |that ne|ver felt a wound

and another example from same page linked in the first example

Now is the winter of our discontent
 1   2  3   4-5   6   7    8-9-10

and WordCreator's Output
Now is |the win|ter of our dis|con|tent

so far from my testing it's hit or miss but it's also the best option I have tried. Maybe I have some settings wrong within the program making the output off.