ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Kickstarter and Indie2GoGo Projects Spotlight - May 10, 2011

(1/1)

wraith808:
I haven't posted the last couple of weeks, so I'm including a bit extra into this one... an analysis of a couple of projects and why they work (or don't) to give ideas for posting your own.

So what do you need for a successful project on Kickstarter?

1. The project goal must make sense

Kickstarter can be a bit like the .com era, and I think that people have that in mind when they look at projects.  You have to have a firm grasp of your project in mind, and how much it costs.  Though a high goal is not unreasonable, there needs to be some justification for it from a product standpoint, or people might get the idea that you're trying to cash in on the kickstarter idea, rather than create an actual product or fulfill some need.

2. Every contribution must be rewarded

This goes along with point 1, but is more geared towards the emotional side of the argument.  With financial times the way that they are, even parting with $20 or $30 is quite a bit to a lot of people.  Why should they contribute?  What will they get for their contribution?  And will it even make a difference?  These very basic questions need to be answered for the potential donator in your description- think of it as a prospectus.

3. Give solid information on your project

Again dovetailing into the two proceeding points, but also complementing them is the distribution of information about the project from a larger perspective.  Presentation is everything, and this is the one chance to get donators fired up about the project.  And not with an over-deluge of information, but with precisely targeted bits.  A concise, well worded description of what the project is, and what is to be accomplished is a definite must.  Pictures help even more towards that.  And video that much more.

Some good projects:

KamakuraKickstarter and Indie2GoGo Projects Spotlight - May 10, 2011Goal$2500End Date2011-06-14Project Creator(s)Dyad GamesLocationDelaware, OHDescriptionThough the video is an interview, the lighting is very well done, with well done subtitles, and actual views of the product, and talk of concrete examples.  It is informative without being 'talky'.  There are also videos offsite about how to play the game, and information about the game play.  The $2500 goal seems both reachable, and reasonable for this type of game, and the rewards are adequately tiered for contribution that would entice someone to donate.  In addition, the company has a website and a definite presence, lending to their sense of stability to deliver a product once the money is in hand.

Startup FeverKickstarter and Indie2GoGo Projects Spotlight - May 10, 2011Goal$10111End Date2011-05-04Project Creator(s)Louis Perrochon, Meetpoint LLCLocationMountain View, CADescriptionThe video is very well done, and shows a product in hand, and the information provided makes this definitely seem like one of the more stable of projects- through the prototyping/testing stage and ready for production.  Though the goal is a bit high, it does seem reasonable for what is shown, and indeed, the project has already blown past this.
And some bad ones:

Epic ConquestKickstarter and Indie2GoGo Projects Spotlight - May 10, 2011Goal$1500End Date2011-07-04Project Creator(s)Alexander Van DorpeLocationWindsor Heights, IADescriptionThis starts to go wrong when you look at the presentation.  There is no video, and the only media on the page is hand drawn (and not in a good way).  The ideas seem lofty- very much more than the price tag would seem to be able to deliver. And then there is the fact that because of fear of being scooped on his idea, he doles out only bits of the actual project implementation.  Not something that inspires me to donate.

Natural SpotlectionKickstarter and Indie2GoGo Projects Spotlight - May 10, 2011Goal$25000End Date2011-07-30Project Creator(s)EthanLocationSalt Lake City, UTDescriptionEthan does a lot well- he communicates the idea, and has a video presentation.  But then it goes wrong- he doesn't have a game designed; just an idea and mechanics.  And the video presentation is just him talking- not a catchy hook for investors.  He does have many reward tiers, but the final goal is very much lofty compared to the information that he gives, and seems quite out of touch with the idea, and hard to reach in the given timeframe.  I wish him luck, but I'd not donate to it based on his site.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version