topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: [Freeware] FadeTop - a visual break reminder that fades the desktop  (Read 45108 times)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any chance of a x mins before fade warning ...
I'd go for the x seconds before fade warning, 15 seconds should be enough to press Ctrl-S once more 8)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ah, I think I finally get it.  A reference to saving, perhaps?

My request may have been inspired by memories of the "5 minute warning" we used to get in elementary school shortly before recess time was due to be up :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Very nice app  :up:

Notes:
I can only test the fader (via the tray icon) once - it doesnt work after the first go -  this makes it difficult to test custom colours etc.

My taskbar autohides - you say I can right click the tray icon and choose "Exit" from the shortcut menu to get out of  "fade" mode -
my taskbar menu does not show though while Time Clue is dimming the screen.

Edit/ just in case:   OS is XP SP3
Tom

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I realize this isn't it's purpose, but I could see something like this being particularly useful to parents and gamers to fade in the middle of  a game or whatever.  The only thing needed to make this work would be to be able to set a specific time for it.  Perhaps a different color so one, the other, or both features could be used together?  Just some other peripheral ideas to throw out there.

musetips

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any chance of a x mins before fade warning (e.g. play a custom sound or some other notification) feature?

Alarm before "warning"? Why bother?

I did consider to support sound.
MuseTips.com - free, simple and handy desktop softwares

musetips

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any chance of a x mins before fade warning ...
I'd go for the x seconds before fade warning, 15 seconds should be enough to press Ctrl-S once more 8)

Why should we need those additional seconds? The fader does not interfere with the ongoing work.

We can still do anything when the desktop is fading (before it becomes too illegible, of course).

BTW, you may consider below options:

1) choose a bigger value for fade duration: then you don't have to press Ctrl-S in a haste
2) choose a smaller value for maximum opacity: then you can simply ignore the fader when it's shown

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm not confident I explained very well so I'll make another attempt.

With a notification/warning [1] of some small number of minutes before fading occurs, I think I can prepare to pull away and have an easier time at halting work once fading begins.  If I'm in the midst of something that I'm concentrating on, not really aware of the time, and I suddenly have to stop, I find that can be difficult.  My guess is that this type of thing is not entirely uncommon, but perhaps not...

BTW, thanks for the "Block fader when a full-screen program is running" option  :Thmbsup:

[1] I'm not sure just sound would always work out here due to not having sound on all of the time...

musetips

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Very nice app  :up:

Notes:
I can only test the fader (via the tray icon) once - it doesnt work after the first go -  this makes it difficult to test custom colours etc.

My taskbar autohides - you say I can right click the tray icon and choose "Exit" from the shortcut menu to get out of  "fade" mode -

Edit/ just in case:   OS is XP SP3

Thank you for the feedback. I'll look into this problem shortly.

musetips

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I realize this isn't it's purpose, but I could see something like this being particularly useful to parents and gamers to fade in the middle of  a game or whatever.  The only thing needed to make this work would be to be able to set a specific time for it.  Perhaps a different color so one, the other, or both features could be used together?  Just some other peripheral ideas to throw out there.

The options dialog allows you to set the "auto fade interval" and "overlay color". Maybe that's what you need?

musetips

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm not confident I explained very well so I'll make another attempt.

With a notification/warning [1] of some small number of minutes before fading occurs, I think I can prepare to pull away and have an easier time at halting work once fading begins.  If I'm in the midst of something that I'm concentrating on, not really aware of the time, and I suddenly have to stop, I find that can be difficult.  My guess is that this type of thing is not entirely uncommon, but perhaps not...

BTW, thanks for the "Block fader when a full-screen program is running" option  :Thmbsup:

[1] I'm not sure just sound would always work out here due to not having sound on all of the time...

The program is so designed that you never "suddenly have to stop".

Try this:

First set a low Max opacity value (say 40) via Options dialog, then click the program icon to invoke the fader. Now do anything as if the fader is not there.

As to sound alarm: according to my own experience, it can quickly become an annoyance, especially when we're at work. Note that the program is supposed to raise alerts somewhat frequently (for eye resting).

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The options dialog allows you to set the "auto fade interval" and "overlay color". Maybe that's what you need?

I was thinking more along the lines of setting a set time of day, such as bedtime, or time to start work.  Essentially it becomes an alarm you can't just say "okay, just one more minute" and 30 minutes later "Oh *hit, I am late!".  Having the fade interval allows it to recover so you can close down, but the fade, especially during a game, can be killer and make it pointless to the "one more minute" idea.  Of course I suppose a valid work around could be to set up a higher frequency fade interval (ever 30 seconds for example) and use a scheduled task to start it up...

Again, I realize this is completely outside of the purpose of this software, I am just thinking outside the box on one way I can see myself using something like this for my kids.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Try this:

First set a low Max opacity value (say 40) via Options dialog, then click the program icon to invoke the fader. Now do anything as if the fader is not there.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I have been trying with mixed results.  I find that I often don't stop -- will keep trying though.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
An application with the same purpose I was once using had the following nice feature: the tray icon visually showed how much interval time had passed (or was left, can't remember). Can't remember the resolution either, maybe steps of 10 to 20% interval time (i.e. 5 to 10 different tray images).

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Try this:

I have been trying with mixed results.  I find that I often don't stop -- will keep trying though.

Now I haven't actually tried the program, so bear with my if I'm off base...

But it occurs to me that you're asking for a feature that will allow you to continue the very behavior that the program is designed to break you of.

musetips

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Try this:

I have been trying with mixed results.  I find that I often don't stop -- will keep trying though.

You'll have to set up a higher value for Max opacity if you want to be forced to stop.

Or, let's just follow the design guideline: develop the habit of taking breaks. When reminded, try to take action asap.

I've found the best choice for Max opacity is: when it doesn't fully dims the screen, while making it hard enough to continue to work.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 05:34 PM by musetips »

musetips

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
An application with the same purpose I was once using had the following nice feature: the tray icon visually showed how much interval time had passed (or was left, can't remember). Can't remember the resolution either, maybe steps of 10 to 20% interval time (i.e. 5 to 10 different tray images).

Thank you for this info. I'm considering to add this feature.

musetips

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
But it occurs to me that you're asking for a feature that will allow you to continue the very behavior that the program is designed to break you of.
-Stoic Joker (May 23, 2011, 11:33 AM)

You got it.

Taking breaks away from the computer is all about habit. The program turns useless when we try to ignore the reminding.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Notes:
[1] I can only test the fader (via the tray icon) once - it doesnt work after the first go -  this makes it difficult to test custom colours etc.

[2] My taskbar autohides - you say I can right click the tray icon and choose "Exit" from the shortcut menu to get out of  "fade" mode -

this was sorted per PM, but just in case anyone else was wondering about them:

[1] is now fixed
[2] is actually only a problem when doing a test fade - click anywhere on the screen, move cursor to the bottom of screen - the taskbar gets shown

Tip: left-click tray icon to do a test fade
Tom

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
But the multi-monitor option is still being worked on (as it currently only fades my main monitor...)? :huh:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another little bug -

if I change focus to Firefox during a fade (using alt+tab or clicking on minimised window on taskbar), the fade process will stop.

Changing focus to FF during a fade, also reintroduces the bug where you cannot do a test-fade afterwards.

XP SP3 / FF 4.0.1

edit/ added FF version
Tom
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:03 PM by tomos »