ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Database for a Desktop?

<< < (2/3) > >>

kfitting:
This may be completely off topic from where you were intending, but here is a blog by someone using Excel, SQLite, and Python.  He's doing some pretty interesting stuff, it may give you some ideas.

http://blog.gobansaor.com/

Renegade:
Well, time has won out. I've abandoned SQLite.

I'm working on other things and I've gone back to VistaDB.

I'm simply rusty on some CRUD stuff in .NET, and I don't want to spend any more time on it than I have to.

Laziness and time pressure wins.

That being said, VistaDB is WAAAAAYYYYY better than SQLite... There's no comparison. Broken skateboard and space shuttle.

wraith808:
That being said, VistaDB is WAAAAAYYYYY better than SQLite... There's no comparison. Broken skateboard and space shuttle.
-Renegade (May 09, 2011, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

At $1295 for a license, I should hope so...?

Renegade:
-Renegade (May 09, 2011, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

At $1295 for a license, I should hope so...?
-wraith808 (May 09, 2011, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I didn't pay that. I've had a license for a long time, so I only had to maintain it with 'upgrade protection', which expired last week. For the next year => $300.00 -- Which is fine. I like to support good software that I like. It's a fantastic product, and for mISVs (that would be many of the people here), you can get it for much less than $1295. They have a mISV program. Face it, $1,295 is jack all for a company for a product of that caliber, but for a 1-man-band, it's a big chunk of change. Again, their licensing policy is fair and helpful, which only makes me more prone to keep with the upgrades.

But yeah... you definitely get what you pay for.

Integer, None, Text, Real, and Numeric just make me cringe. I like my DateTime and Bit types (amongst others).

It basically makes me feel dirty to store a datetime in a text field. Ick... So I'm not too broken up about abandoning SQLite. I've used it in a mobile SDK for testing, but the SDK was very kind and hid all that nasty dirtiness.

wraith808:
Unfortunately, unless the 'much less' is $300 or less, I'll have to do without.  The perils of full time employment vs contracting.  When I was contracting, money wasn't really an object for development tools.  Now, doing it on the side, it's a lot bigger obstacle, unfortunately.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version