ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Database for a Desktop?

(1/3) > >>

Renegade:
Well, I'm in my neurotic "must do things differently again" state, and must find a new way to do a client database.

Well, that and this. It's more than I feel like forking out for an upgrade... Though they do offer discounts for mISVs... But, oh well... Might as well learn something new...

I've not use SQLite before (in .NET that is), and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on these:

http://code.google.com/p/csharp-sqlite/ (Supports 3.7.5)

http://sqlite.phxsoftware.com/ (Supports 3.6.23)

Or is there anything else that I should work with?

My most important thing is ease -- I do not want to fight with a database. It needs to be easy to get working. I'm only going to be storing simple data and not doing anything funky, so my requirements are pretty low.

I could do it in flat files or XML, but I'm trying to anticipate growth for larger data sets later on. Beside, I hate flat files. And while XML is cool, one needs to be intelligent about where to use it.

So, opinions?

Commercial DBs are ok too if they are well supported, easy, and affordable.

Ath:
Looking at SQLite, have you investigated the SQLite endorsed ADO.Net provider?

I especially like the headline message on the site:
This is a fork of the popular ADO.NET 2.0 adaptor for SQLite known as System.Data.SQLite. The originator of System.Data.SQLite, Robert Simpson, is aware of this fork, has expressed his approval, and has commit privileges on the new Fossil repository. The SQLite development team intends to maintain System.Data.SQLite moving forward.
--- End quote ---
(Emphasis added)

The phxsoftware.com's version seems to have stopped progressing

wraith808:

This is a fork of the popular ADO.NET 2.0 adaptor for SQLite known as System.Data.SQLite. The originator of System.Data.SQLite, Robert Simpson, is aware of this fork, has expressed his approval, and has commit privileges on the new Fossil repository. The SQLite development team intends to maintain System.Data.SQLite moving forward.
--- End quote ---
(Emphasis added)
-Ath (May 07, 2011, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wanted to try that... but the last time I installed it, it borked my vs installation.  I found the problem in a source file that they changed, but that was quite troubling and not something I wanted to experience again.

Renegade:

--- End quote ---
(Emphasis added)

The phxsoftware.com's version seems to have stopped progressing
-Ath (May 07, 2011, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Excellent!

I was looking at so many different things that I missed that.

Ok -- so far that's at the top of my list. I'll need to do more investigation, but it's looking good. :)

Thanks.

Stoic Joker:
I've had really good luck using MySQL for all sorts of things, and it's quite easy to include in a C++ project. I give each app instance a single session and keep it alive via heart beats. It's simple, well documented, free, and quite fast...What's not to like?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version