ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Hot Key Promter

(1/3) > >>

John Barnett:
Hi, I would like to know if it would be possible to create a program that would prompt you what Hot keys are available for a program that one is using. Not all Hot Keys would be possible as some programs have many Hot Keys, however, if the most important ones could be displayed in a small tool bar that would snap too the top, bottom or side of the screen would make using a program easier, I am hopeless in trying to recall what Hot Keys are available for a program I am using. Maybe the best way would be have the user enter the hot keys manually for each program and chose a program from a list one has made. This software would be used as an visual aid when using a program.

jgpaiva:
I believe there are a few other threads requesting this feature.
Here is one possible answer.

MilesAhead:
If I read the thread jgpaiva linked to correctly, there's no practical way to get the info through Windows.  My hotkey tray apps display the current hotkey(s) in the About dialog.  Even I forget sometimes which hotkey is which and I wrote the things!! But I have some apps I don't use that often. I look in the About box to remember.

When I do the About dialog I read from the hotkey variable in case the user has changed the hotkey. It should always be the current info.  But the programmer has to do something like that for his own app.

MilesAhead:
Hi, I would like to know if it would be possible to create a program that would prompt you what Hot keys are available for a program that one is using. Not all Hot Keys would be possible as some programs have many Hot Keys, however, if the most important ones could be displayed in a small tool bar that would snap too the top, bottom or side of the screen would make using a program easier, I am hopeless in trying to recall what Hot Keys are available for a program I am using. Maybe the best way would be have the user enter the hot keys manually for each program and chose a program from a list one has made. This software would be used as an visual aid when using a program.
-John Barnett (May 07, 2011, 04:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

On second reading I think I see what you mean.  It's more or less a cheat sheet.  Maybe something that would read the active window to get the program, look it up to see what hotkeys you noted for it and display them in a little popup?

edit: are you running 32 bit or 64 bit Windows?

MilesAhead:
I've updated my Home Folder utility with a Popup Note facility that can be used for this.  Try it out.  You can download from this page:

http://www.favessoft.com/hotkeys.html

Just search on Home Folder to get to the download link.
By default if you press Alt-NumberPadMinux it will pop up an input. Once there is some data it will show the current note when popped up.  The notes are saved to a file in Home Folder's home folder.

Usage: Make sure the application window is the active window.  Hit Alt-NumberPadMinus. The Popup should appear at the top left corner of the app. Type in short info such as app hotkey and hit OK Button.

Edit: Make sure you have at least v. 1.71 as important bug fixes were just completed.

Edit2: Make that v. 1.8  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version