topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Chromium 15.0.847.0 Build 95771  (Read 14131 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Chromium 15.0.847.0 Build 95771
« on: May 07, 2011, 02:01 AM »
I'm just trying Chromium nightly snapshop from the win32 zip file:
http://build.chromiu...omium/snapshots/Win/

edit: they changed the ftp link so I edited the url above.

So far I don't see any obvious bugs. But it feels a tad snappier than the 12.x snapshot I have been running.  So far so good.  The nice thing about the zip just save your Chromium folder from settings and your old Chromium zips.  You can go back very easily if you encounter a bug.

Main thing is when you overwrite the Chromium program folder, wherever you put it, don't erase the Dictionaries or extensions folders.  Then just copy all the stuff in from the new zip. I only have 3 tabs open and TaskManager shows a dozen copies of chrome.exe running!! That may account for it!!  But it sure feels fast!!

edit: so far AutoCopy extensions don't seem to work.  There's always a "gotcha'" :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:40 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Chromium 13.0.758.0 build 84548 feels snappy
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 08:46 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmm, every time I try to update I have to download about 40 builds until AutoCopy works with one. 83304 is the last one I tried that works.  The 7 or 8 newest builds all fail even if the highlighted text disappears as expected.  Copy to clipboard has to be one of the easiest things going. I don't get how it can fail in one version and not the next.  Really weird!

Anyone have AutoCopy working in a Chromium portable(the win32 zip file) newer than 83304?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 10:09 PM »
Oh well.  Guess I'll go back to the old right click and copy. Just too much hassle downloading and testing for one addon.

btw I'm running 84600 build of Chromium and it feels very snappy!!
So far AutoCopy seems to be the only casualty.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 11:38 PM »
Instead of messing with this anymore, I added a hotkey hack to Transpose.  Now I can select text in Chromium based browser, then hit shift-right-click to copy to clipboard.  The selected text disappears.

Normal right mouse click context menu is still available this way.
Shift right click turned out to be less intrusive than control right click.
Only thing with shift click is I sent a mouse click to clear the text and
this was leaving some of the selection. I just increased the delay to
1/2 second. If you watch you can see the pause before the selection
disappears.

But at least this way you still have normal control-c or right click then copy functions. It doesn't really interfere with using Chrome/Chromium.

Way better than farting around with AutoCopy addon.  Plus I always have Transpose running anyway.

The source is included for do-it-yourselfers.  You can change it how you like. :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:35 AM by MilesAhead »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Miles, as far as I know, every active extension runs as a separate process so that if one part gets flaky, the entire browser need not go down. I'm still on v.10 for now.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 07:20 PM »
Miles, as far as I know, every active extension runs as a separate process so that if one part gets flaky, the entire browser need not go down. I'm still on v.10 for now.

I understand.  The thing about AutoCopy type function is I'm used to it so I can't use a browser without it.  Just had to do my own as the AutoCopy extension is unpredictable. And I just hate right clicking after selecting text and clicking Copy.  Even worse doing Control-c on the keyboard.  My method, even though I have employed the Alt key, at least I don't have to let go of the mouse or do gestures.  Just hold the left button down until I hit Alt.  Plus often in a browser the selected area isn't what you want.  I hate sending stuff to the clipboard that I didn't want anyway.  This way I only hit Alt when the selection turns out right.

They must have made some optimizations in the browser code because it seems like anything 13.x the rendering just snaps up.  I start at the bottom of the build tree with the newest and look in the change log. If it doesn't look like a lot of stuff is broken I'll download the portable and try it. I'm using 13.0.764.0 now.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 07:24 PM by MilesAhead »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 04:45 AM »
Just upgraded my Chrome from 12.something dev to 13.0.761.0 dev-m and I can confirm it is blazingly fast, WOW!

Just have to check if the some of the quirks, like password storage and listbox behavior, finally are unbroken (they've been broken IMHO since at least 9.x), so I can re-instate it as my default browser for all the Jira stuff I do in my daily work. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 04:18 PM »
I don't use many of the advanced features on browsers. It's easier for me to adopt a beta or nightly if the basic functions and extensions work. One thing I've found is it's a better use of my time to just hack something together in ahk or AutoIt3 to get it the way I want than to lobby the browser developers. I think I started asking the Opera guys for an AutoCopy type function about 6 years ago.  I guess they never heard of CTS.  They told me to quadruple click the mouse or some crap to copy a line of text.  Ah, no way Jose!! :)

Likewise I reported "open new tab in foreground" in Chrome/Chromium was broken awhile back.  Apparently opening tabs in the foreground is against the religion over there.  They kept reporting it fixed when it wasn't.    :'(
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 04:22 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 01:31 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmm, looks like they added a couple of processes.  Used to be 8 chrome.exe + 1 more for each tab.  Now I've got 3 tabs open and count 13 instances of chrome.exe!!

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 02:43 AM »
I've got 3 tabs open and count 13 instances of chrome.exe!!

If your browser eats up all your memory, then there's no need to open any programs (whether you wanted to or not)!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 04:08 AM »
I've got 3 tabs open and count 13 instances of chrome.exe!!

If your browser eats up all your memory, then there's no need to open any programs (whether you wanted to or not)!

The only thing I've had to do using Chromium is use a swap file(since I only have 2 GB physical memory in this machine.) I was running with no swap.  But I have a bookmark fetcher for refreshing favicons. It has default browser open with up to 10 tabs before it kills it and reloads.  Brute force way to get favicons back as Chromium doesn't have a CheckPlaces equivalent. Running that with several other apps open, maybe a video player, I got an oom error.  That's the only time.

With a 4 GB swap file I've never gotten out oom error. It just honks!!  Way better than waiting 20 seconds just for FF to load off the disk.

I don't run office apps or spread sheets so I might as well let Chromium be the memory hog on this PC. :)

Besides, it's inevitable.  The single process browser on a multi-core PC is dead.  They'll all have to follow suit.

I'm just trying another build now.  85605.  Seems to have gone back to 8 processes + one per tab.  Maybe that was just an interim thing to fix a problem.  There's bound to be a lot of flux with nightly builds. I'm surprised they run as good as they do.  But I try to avoid the ones with large change logs. This last one is back down to no changes.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:16 AM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 04:40 AM »
The other factor is probably the number of extensions. I have 7 installed. Fortunately unlike FF you don't need that many to handle basic functions.  The bookmark sync is built in.  An ad blocker, I have an XML formatter(which FF has built in) and I have XMarks just so I can sync passwords to FF now and then.  LastPass is good across them both.

edit: looks like that's it. Must run each extension as a separate process.  I just dumped a bookmark checker extension and now it only shows 7 processes plus 1 per tab.

edit2: seems there's not exactly a 1 to 1. But it does seem to diminish as you uninstall extensions. Right now I have 3 tabs open and TM is showing 10 instances of chrome.exe.
I seldom run with more than 4 tabs open anyway.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:47 AM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 04:38 PM »
I just noticed I no longer need the xml formatter in build 85605. When I click an xml file online it says some jazz about finding no css format info. It displays the file nicely expanded. No more text jumble.

One less extension to carry. I'm only running 4 now.

edit: Make it 3. I don't really need Sexy Undo Closed Tab. :)

edit: down to 2.  Speed dial is fun until you load Chromium with a busy disk.  Then it makes it bog a bit. Time to get by without it.

edit: found this to get rid of that New Tab page they push on you:
https://chrome.googl...dlleaimfelifcejbkmcd

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:19 AM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 01:30 AM »
Wow!! I got rid of Speed Dial and used an Addon that lets me set New Tab to a blank page.  Then I set my home page to the bookmarks.html file on my HD.  Even with Malwarebytes running a scan Chromium snaps right up there!! No bog while filling in Speed Dial graphics.

Speed Dial was fun but it just bogs an otherwise screaming fast browser!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Chromium 14.0.832.0 Build 93800
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 02:16 PM »
Chromium 14.0.832.0  Build 93800 I just downloaded this now.  There was only one issue mentioned in change log so I'm giving it a try. Only thing I see different immediately is there's a head on the caption bar.  Guess it's supposed to be a quick way to set or change profiles. I don't use profiles anyway so it's either take it off(which is probably not possible) or learn to ignore it.

So far my favicons haven't disappeared. With only one tab open it shows six instances of chrome.exe which seems about the usual.

http://build.chromiu...omium/snapshots/Win/

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 04:25 PM »

You know that Chrome has it's own Speed-Dial-like New Tab page that you can set as your home page?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 05:34 PM »

You know that Chrome has it's own Speed-Dial-like New Tab page that you can set as your home page?

I've resolved the issue.  I have it open to about:blank.  That keeps it from bogging even on a busy HD.  Then I have Home Button and New Tab both open Speed Dial extension.  Works fine.  The only thing I don't like is the browser opens with "about:blank" in the address bar.  I and others posted a request to have it come up blank to make it easier to type searches.

What I'm doing as work-around uses a macro to blank the line when it sees Chromium come up. Just an AutoIt3 that sends F4 then Del when it sees a Chromium window with about:blank text.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 05:38 PM by MilesAhead »

geff_chang

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 04:39 AM »
Is there a downloader for the new nightly builds?

I'm wondering if there has been any updates to the Chromium Nightly Updater.
http://dirhael.dcmembers.com/cnu/

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 04:32 PM »
Is there a downloader for the new nightly builds?

I'm wondering if there has been any updates to the Chromium Nightly Updater.
http://dirhael.dcmembers.com/cnu/

I don't know. I look through the tree starting with the newest at the bottom for changelog.xml with the least amount of stuff in it.  If you just accept whatever is the newest you can get one with lots of outstanding issues.

Right now I'm running 15.0.847.0 from the win32 zip file.