ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software recommendations for writers

<< < (11/15) > >>

wraith808:
@kyrathaba with the fix in place, you might want to edit your filepath out of the previous post.  And indeed, not include a full filepath on your machine in public correspondence.  Maybe I'm just being paranoid... but yeah...

kyrathaba:
Good idea.  Done!

40hz:
You know how the average user is: not gonna send in a report of a problem.  Nothing like having even just one or two 'testers' you can count on.  Hard to come by sometimes.  
-kyrathaba (May 17, 2011, 10:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

@tajuta - you might consider pre-announcing your major new releases here with a link and ask for feedback. There's enough technically saavy people at DoCo interested in this type of app that you should get some very reliable and relevant feedback. Especially if you point out you're the developer. That makes it almost "family."

Dochappy:
I got around to trying evernote. It's ok. I like some of the features but it just feels clunky to me. I wish there was a note-taking app that was simple like cintanotes but with the  enhanced text editing and the ability to add images.

caveatrob:
I've been doing this for a long time, both in teaching and in writing, and what I use is:

1. MindManager (any mindmapping tool that's fast will do) - it's indispensable for starting with a framework and a plan, for brainstorming, and even for writing large chunks of text.
2. WordWeb Pro (old version) - for the pop-up dictionary
3. Copious WORD MACROS. There were just some new ones out out for free here: http://www.soltys.ca/blog/2011/05/macros-for-editors.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CoreDump2+%28Core+Dump+2.0%29

4. Millions of Autohotkey scripts to pop up commonly-used phrases/verbs and things for me that I create.
5. Style guides
6. Evernote and CintaNotes - Cinta is lightning-fast and can tag ideas/things so that I can pull them up quickly later.
7. Chrome/Firefox and many extensions - can go into these later
8. Breevy - for convenience when Autohotkey gets too cumbersome.

I'm thinking about putting together a page for these things, so I'm happy to answer any questions or brainstorm with y'all. I'm excited about this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version