ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software recommendations for writers

<< < (6/15) > >>

kyrathaba:
Hmm, ChapterByChapter looks useful.  Has anyone used it?

I'm wanting to write a couple of different books for Kindle.  Think I'll start them in ImmersEd, then import them into CbC.  Hmm...

CbC automates or great facilitates these tasks:

* renumbering chapters
* search/replace within chapters
* easy chapter revisions

lanux128:
there is an anti-distraction tool by the author of yWriter called AntiBrowser, which would come in handy.

What is AntiBrowser for? Anyone with a deadline and a web addiction!

You know the story. You're busy working on your novel and you decide to 'just check' something on the web. Two hours later you're sated with trivial news and your FaceSpace/MyBook/Twotter (sic) is fully up to date. Shame about the novel.

In the past I've resorted to pulling the network cable out of my PC, but that messes up my network shares and backups. So, I decided to write the Anti-Browser. It took me about twenty minutes to develop, time I should have spent on the novel ...-website
--- End quote ---

• http://www.spacejock.com/AntiBrowser.html

cmpm:
Just a note to keep in mind.

The poor man's copyright-
Send what you wrote via registered letter to your self.
But don't open it.
This will be the proof that you originated the writing by the date of the registered letter.

40hz:
Just a note to keep in mind.

The poor man's copyright-
Send what you wrote via registered letter to your self.
But don't open it.
This will be the proof that you originated the writing by the date of the registered letter.
-cmpm (May 14, 2011, 02:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Important note: The "poor man's copyright" is not a recommended strategy if you live in the USA.

Per the United States Copyright Office:

I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?

The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.
--- End quote ---

Good explanation of why it's a problem can be found here and here. Some other interesting info on US copyright myths can be found here.

One of the best introductions to US copyright law I've ever seen was written by Brad Templeton (of EFF and ClariNet fame). You can find it here. Read it! :up:

(Yes - you really should. ;D)

cmpm:
Thanks 40hz, I didn't know all that.
But it's meant to be proof you wrote it on a particular date.
And not a legal copyright.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version