ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software recommendations for writers

<< < (5/15) > >>

kyrathaba:
Read another software tip in a magazine today: ImmersEd from www.tajuta.com, that seems to extend the uncluttered writing environment with a few nifty gadgets, that can be helpful when writing, gotta start testing though.
--- End quote ---

Nice find, Ath!  Tried ImmersEd and LOVE it!  Will use this for the roughing-out of my book-for-Kindle.

40hz:
Read another software tip in a magazine today: ImmersEd from www.tajuta.com, that seems to extend the uncluttered writing environment with a few nifty gadgets, that can be helpful when writing, gotta start testing though.
--- End quote ---

Nice find, Ath!  Tried ImmersEd and LOVE it!  Will use this for the roughing-out of my book-for-Kindle.
-kyrathaba (May 11, 2011, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow Ath! That is an interesting find. The 'folding' feature for notes is unique. WM has a "repository" feature, but it doesn't seem to be implemented the same way. It's more a 'corkboard' either/or toggle type thing in WM.

Embedded Notes – text can be tagged as a note, with a label for easy reference. Notes are folded in the document and can be popped open for editing or reading. A sidebar widget allows you to view all your notes, sort by label or position and to jump to any of them.
--- End quote ---

Gonna have to take a look at that when I get a minute. Won't be enough to get me off the Monkey's back, (couldn't live without WM's 'jump' feature) but it might make for an interesting suggestion for a future version. WriteMonkey's author has dropped by DoCo a few times under the name iztoks. (Note: There's a bit more discussion (both pro and con) of WriteMonkey to be found under the same thread starting on page 10 AND a whole thread devoted to text editors for writers here if anybody's interested.)

sazzen:
yWriter. Free and simple to use. Here: http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter.html
WordWeb. I used the free version for many years. I purchased the pro version when it was on deal at Bits.  Soooo glad I did.  Here:  http://www.wordwebsoftware.com/
Rhymesaurus. Now it's only $12.95. Here: http://www.purpleroom.com/
Mobysaurus. You can find that right here. For free!
Simple Word Generator. Also right here, for free.

You don't have to be online - ever.

Dormouse:
As far as changing their business plan, that's the risk you take using free services.
-40hz (May 10, 2011, 06:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think Evernote 2.2 was free, at least my version wasn't.

Business plans changed when Evernote was taken over by someone with a clear idea of where they wanted to take it. And had the program completely rewritten.

I should have put it better: handing over control of my data.  I would feel very vulnerable if it was only stored on their servers.-rjbull (May 11, 2011, 04:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
Agreed - except that the cloudy versions always have a copy on the HDD too. I don't think there's a way of making it cloud only (I suspect using sync minimises their transfer costs).

I doubt it would remain free very long, but, I thought the storage was part of what you paid for when you paid for Evernote > 2.2.  I don't want to go on paying for evermore...-rjbull (May 11, 2011, 04:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

All versions of Evernote are free (well, since they were taken over they have been). The free version allows datebases ("notebooks") to be synced to the cloud or just kept locally. What you get if you pay is a much bigger upload limit (1GB a month rather than 60MB) and the ability to sync any file type instead of just PDF, images & audio. I'm willing to pay if I need it, but have never wanted to sync other file types or upload more than I do.

Apart from the sync with the cloud, the big issue a lot of 2.2 users had was the inability to organise/reorganise by switching around in a note hierarchy. I've come around on that eventually since I do use the cloud availability. They do have tags - better now than they were - but it is still not the old functionality. But then, if I need that I just use Ultra Recall instead  :)  I always did only use Evernote for snippets.

cmpm:
This is not for quick writing in my opinion but more for when you are ready to put some things together.
Lots of links to other help as well.

http://sites.google.com/site/sebberthet/chapter-by-chapter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version