ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software recommendations for writers

<< < (3/15) > >>

Dochappy:
good suggestions so far . not sure which I'll choose between WriteMonkey or q10 or ImmersEd all three look good . will have to download them and test them out.

I like to write fiction: short stories, flash fiction, and poetry ( sometimes I write reviews)

I'm sort of bipolar when it comes to writing. I like to be organized but I tend to write  more when I  do "stream of consciousness"  when I try to organize I tend to get  too involved and spend more time organizing instead of writing. Also when I organize  it seems like when i do start writing, writers block soon sets in after a few paragraphs.

One piece of software I would love to find is  a meter and syllable counter for help me with keeping my poetry in check.

keep the suggestions coming. thanks guys!

Ath:
One piece of software I would love to find is  a meter and syllable counter for help me with keeping my poetry in check.
-Dochappy (May 08, 2011, 12:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
I haven't seen that feature with the suggested apps so far, but I could have overlooked, so it could probably be a nice improvement suggestion to both WriteMonkey and ImmersEd.

FWIW, I'd leave Q10 alone, WriteMonkey has the same and better features, and is actively developed.

40hz:
+1w/Ath

Based on the way you work, I think WriteMonkey would be all you'd want or need.

I use it - and it's my app of choice for a first draft or just getting things down on 'paper.' When I need to write, I fetch The Monkey.

Compared to Q10, Darkroom, and the full screen editor in liquid Story Binder (also a favorite app which I use regularly), I think WM strikes the ideal balance between simplicity and features. The small number of built in extras were extemely well-chosen. They bring very useful additional capabilities to the mix without getting in the way of WM's core function as a blank screen editor. A pretty impressive feat. Especially when it works as well as it does in WM.  

I'd add a basic notetaking app to your toolkit for collecting text snippets such as CintaNotes (another favorite of mine) or one of those "tree" note/outliners and you'll be set to roll. I use Softvoile's Flashnote for that. Flashnote looks like similar apps, but it also has a user configurable hotkey pop-up feature which works well when used in conjunction with WriteMonkey.

Luck with your writing.  :Thmbsup:

Dochappy:
Write Monkey is growing on me it really helps to keep me focused. and CintaNotes is amazing been looking for a note taking app like this for a while. Wish it had the ability to add styles to text like bold and italic. other than that it's great.  Thanks again

40hz:
Write Monkey is growing on me it really helps to keep me focused.
-Dochappy (May 10, 2011, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nothing works better for a writer than some decent software, a little focus, a chair, and a great big honkin' can of Butt-Glue.  :)

CintaNotes is amazing been looking for a note taking app like this for a while. Wish it had the ability to add styles to text like bold and italic. other than that it's great.
-Dochappy (May 10, 2011, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Take a look at Evernote. CintaNotes was based on it. Think of Evernote as CintaNotes on steroids. May not be free depending on which features you want/need.

I personally think it's overkill for what I want. But Evernote is a very popular and well-respected app. Give it a try and see if you like it better.

Evernote's ability to sync over the web is a nice feature although you could always backup Cinta's notes files to a free Dropbox account and get some of that for free, albeit less elegantly and with more hassle.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version