ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software recommendations for writers

<< < (2/15) > >>

PhilB66:
http://code.google.com/p/textroom/

Dormouse:
I mostly use two programs:- Liquid Story Binder (shareware) and TreeDBNotes (free version probably sufficient). Both have multiple ways of organising/reorganising what you have written, both have the ability to store/give easy access to other info you will want to use while writing, both are in active development with good support, both have an option for a simple writing screen should that be what you want, both have a variety of import/export options. Liquid Story Binder is set up for writers, TreeDBNOtes sells itself as an outliner/PIM - but I mostly use it for writing.

There is also the Windows beta version of Scrivener, a very well regarded/popular writing program for the Mac. I have tried it, but saw no reason to move from the programs I already use.

paulobrabo:
I have two published books, I wish that made me a writer. I'm currently using the beta version of Scrivener and absolutely love it. You should at least give it a try.

Another interesting program I use is Notebox Disorganizer (free), "a spreadsheet for text".

For smaller texts and a distraction-free setup, Writemonkey is the way to go. I used Q10 before, but [1] WM is being actively developed and [2] has typewriter scrolling. Can't beat that in my book.

Keep writing!

cthorpe:
Liquid Story Binder has a permanent discount available at BitsDuJour for 44% off making it $25.95 USD.  Here is the link for you: http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/liquid-story-binder/

The company's way of doing business is also commendable.  First off, they give you a 30 day shareware trial that only counts days that you actually use the program on.  Next, they offer a 30 day, unconditional money back guarantee after you purchase.  Finally, they do not charge for any upgrades or updates, and clearly state that the license you buy is a lifetime license.

I have experience using the money back guarantee, and they issued my refund in less than 12 hours after I emailed them on a weekend.  Now, I did not take advantage of the refund because it was a bad program by any means.  I just found it to be overkill for my limited needs, and I realized that another program I already owned could do the small amount of organization I wanted.  If I were embarking on a large writing project that would allow me to take advantage of the extra features of LSB, I would not hesitate to buy a license again in the future.

C

--
Disclaimer
I am not affiliated with the program(s) mentioned in my post, unless explicitly stated.  I will not receive any compensation for any sales generated by my post unless explicitly stated.  The opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect the opinions of this site or its staff unless explicitly stated.

Ath:
@cthorpe : That site is, though a bit full, very clear in it's intentions, a relief to read it, thanks for the pointer! Oh, and a useful writers tool indeed :)

Read another software tip in a magazine today: ImmersEd from www.tajuta.com, that seems to extend the uncluttered writing environment with a few nifty gadgets, that can be helpful when writing, gotta start testing though.

Like 40hz said, there are tons of tools...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version