topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: InstallShield Install Issue  (Read 3282 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
InstallShield Install Issue
« on: May 06, 2011, 08:25 AM »
Greetings
   Normally I can get these things to work, but this one is killing me. I've got a client machine on the bench that I'm trying to get an embroidery application (Janome Customizer) installed on. According to Janome's site it should run just fine on the (brand new out-of-the-box HP) Win7 x64 machine is question...However, the InstallShield installer fails during load.

I've tried a medley of different compatibility settings, disabled UAC, (hard & soft) DEP, and also disabled the (Norton) AV by uninstalling it. All to no avail. I've also tried re-downloading the file multiple times, and running the install on my Win7 x86 machine here at the office with identical (lack of) results.

The IS window starts to load, then the window boarder disappears, and it throws a completely useless error message. The behavior reminds me of something I can't quite remember, so I thought I'd run it past the crew here to see if somebody recognized the behavior.

Screen-Shot of Behavior:
Capture.jpg

Each time it fails it logs a Application Event ID 1000, Source: Application, Faulting Module Name: iuser.dll.

Any Ideas?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: InstallShield Install Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:28 AM »
Silly question: You have Customizer 10000 Plus or Customizer 10000 already installed, before applying this update?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 09:30 AM »
Silly question: You have Customizer 10000 Plus or Customizer 10000 already installed, before applying this update?

Hm... Interesting question, no being the short answer. However everything in their support section implies that the "update" is a full install for the newer OS's. I'd also expect a different error message/behavior if that was the case...

...(on second thought) Loosely interpreted - Considering this thing has been translated a few times - You could be on to something...

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 09:49 AM »
@Stoic

the "update" is a full install for the newer OS's = we are confident think hope that our belief in this statement will have you in stitches.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 09:57 AM by cranioscopical, Reason: Yet another typo »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 10:23 AM »
@Stoic

the "update" is a full install for the newer OS's = we are confident think hope that our belief in this statement will have you in stitches.
-cranioscopical (May 06, 2011, 09:49 AM)

tehehe Yeah, nice miss on their part.

Anyhow... Ath got me to thinking, so I did a Rip-Over to see if I could fake-out the installer. The Rip turned out to be clean enough for the program to run stably, and claim it was licensed also (which Janome said was impossible... (Ha!)).

The installer still goes BooM! ...However as I do now have a perfectly stable, "licensed" rip of the program running just dandy on the client's machine... *Shrug* ...Screw the installer! She'll be happier sticking with the version she already knew anyhow!

Problem Solved - Thank You Ath!