topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 8:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: College Recommendations?  (Read 2966 times)

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
College Recommendations?
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:54 PM »
I'm going to begin college now that I'm finally poised to do so. I'd like to attend a program to get my master in Software Engineering. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a typical student who gets to go through life on a gravy train so I'll have to work full time while getting this degree, so I guess I'm limited to online college or a place which offers flexible scheduling.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
I'm the guy you yell at when your DSL goes down...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: College Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 10:42 PM »
I don't have any specific recommendations, only a very general one: Decide what you want to get out of the experience and focus like a laser on that goal, and don't let yourself get too distracted by distractions or the enjoyment of the process.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 11:59 AM »
I think you shouldn't sweat too much over which school you choose. So long as you're above the bar of "good enough" (whatever that is), it won't make too much difference. In the end, you'll get as much out of the experience as you put in. If you go into it doing everything you can to learn, you will. But even in the most selective schools, if you're not always pushing to learn, you won't.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 09:52 PM »
If you are looking to cut costs, you might want to do your first 2 years at a local community college and then finish up the rest at the full college of your choice. It could save you around 50% or more for those first 2 years. But do your research before you go ahead and do something like that, and know where you are going after, and check with that school to know which credits will be transferable, otherwise you may find yourself repeating classes, which will increase the total cost. This is an approach that needs to be planned well.