ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

AttachMate/Novell Lays Off People - Mono Hit

<< < (3/4) > >>

Deozaan:
One thing you can count on however. If  Mono begins to take significant business away from Microsoft or otherwise becomes a genuine threat, Redmond will send in their legal team to either arrange license fees - or kill it.-40hz (May 15, 2011, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

But didn't Microsoft basically do the same thing with JavaScript that Novell is doing with Mono?

40hz:
One thing you can count on however. If  Mono begins to take significant business away from Microsoft or otherwise becomes a genuine threat, Redmond will send in their legal team to either arrange license fees - or kill it.-40hz (May 15, 2011, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

But didn't Microsoft basically do the same thing with JavaScript that Novell is doing with Mono?
-Deozaan (May 15, 2011, 02:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

More like what they did to Sun and Java I think.

But Microsoft licensed rights to develop Java from Sun back in 1995. In 1997, Sun got into a legal scrap with Microsoft over what it saw as a violation of this license due to Microsoft making changes to its own version of Java. These changes made both the language and the VM far more Windows-centric, in complete defiance of Sun's license requirement that Java be kept completely cross-platform.

I think Sun (quite correctly) saw this as the start of "Step-2" in Microsoft's classic tactic of Embrace-Extend-Extinguish.

Microsoft settled with Sun in 2001. While this made Sun the 'winner' in the legal sense, it probably did more to hurt them in the long run. Because this settlement also gave Microsoft the right to take Java in their own direction as long as they didn't call it Java. At which point Microsoft finally began to get serious about .NET as a platform. And which also led to the introduction of the C# language and the ever decreasing importance of Java to Microsoft's technical development plans.

In 2003 Sun found itself in the embarrassing position of suing Microsoft once again - but this time in an attempt to have Microsoft be required to include Sun's Java interpreter in the Windows operating system.

The courts did not agree and now .NET has replaced Java for most Windows development efforts where Java might formerly have been used. :)

Deozaan:
If I recall correctly, Netscape made JavaScript and kept it proprietary and wouldn't let anybody else use it. So Microsoft reverse engineered it and called it JScript.

Technically JavaScript has never been made available and is still proprietary and the whole internet is just using ECMAScript but calling it JavaScript.

Edvard:
IIRC it was Microsoft Java Virtual Machine  :-\

That crap caused me more trouble in the Win95/98 days than I can describe.
Funny, installing Java proper usually fixed it right up...  :Thmbsup:

Deozaan:
JavaScriptw

JavaScript very quickly gained widespread success as a client-side scripting language for web pages. As a consequence, Microsoft developed a partially compatible dialect of the language, naming it JScript to avoid trademark issues.
--- End quote ---

JScriptw

As explained by JavaScript guru Douglas Crockford in his talk entitled The JavaScript Programming Language on YUI Theater, "[Microsoft] did not want to deal with Sun about the trademark issue, and so they called their implementation JScript. A lot of people think that JScript and JavaScript are different but similar languages. That's not the case. They are just different names for the same language, and the reason the names are different was to get around trademark issues."
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version