topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Save Stargate Universe  (Read 12123 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Save Stargate Universe
« on: May 05, 2011, 04:22 PM »
Does anyone watch Stargate Universe?

http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU

It's last show is coming up, sadly. It's a fantastic show.

The SyFy channel has some amazing super-powers that enable it to cancel all the greatest shows it comes out with, and they're going to use their super-powers to cancel SGU. :(

If you like SGU, then go like the FB page and spread the word. SGU is on it's last legs, but there's still hope...

Also:

http://www.facebook....Universe/61338771473

http://www.facebook....ateuniverseaustralia

A couple other pages to like. :)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:26 PM by Renegade »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Save Stargate Universe
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 04:31 PM »
A good article:

http://www.justpress...argate-universe.html

A television show was already spared the gruesome hand of fate once this year, and now fans are hoping to do the same for Stargate Universe, the most recent chapter in the fan-favorite franchise. Unlike Fringe (the other show I was talking about), SGU's lifeline isn't quite so strong. As Fringe was thrown into the death slot by Fox, SGU is currently enjoying its last rites by SyFy, pure and simple. As of the final episode, next Monday, SGU will be dead. And yet, there's a glimmer of hope in what is an increasingly common phenomenon: the fan-organized campaign. An official Save SGU Facebook Page, meet-ups, e-mail campaigns - you name it - if there's a viable way to rally and do it online, SGU fans have done it.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 05:08 PM »
Season 2 improved quite a lot in storyline and acting. So count me in.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 06:28 PM »
Season 2 improved quite a lot in storyline and acting. So count me in.

First seasons are always shaky. But I think they did a pretty good job there -- it was engaging more than most. Now, it's like heroin - I need my SGU fix. :)

Make sure to like those. Maybe, just maybe sanity will return to SyFy! :)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 03:43 AM »
One of my favourite series of all time (and I like fringe, supernatural, heroes, battlestar galactica, true blood, the walking dead). However things just can't go on forever, although I would certainly watch more seasons! Perhaps a good short 2 seasons will make it more likely it will return in the future, rather than withering slowly.

But yeah with such a legacy and context to explore, it's just asking for more episodes isn't it?

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 04:17 AM »
I personally feel SG:U is decent, but that it made a few crucial mistakes.

For one, it keeps focusing back on Planet Earth and its issues with the Lucian alliance, which I think is pretty much the last thing anyone cares about in this show. They should have called it SG:Homeworld Command or something if that was going to be the main theme.

Second issue is that they keep wasting entire episodes on stories that basically consist out of 'oh, this didn't warrant a full episode, nor did this, so lets smash them together'. Such as the one where a certain someone thinks it is fun to prank someone into a cryogenic pod for most of a day. Or that random person in that recent episode who suddenly starts freaking out when under attack and puts everyone in danger. Yes, I know there is a degree of coping involved for the people on Destiny, but after all this time it should be obvious we want the story of _Destiny_ to go somewhere, and not get stupid stories nobody cares about that would be called 'filler' in anime. Or that random curing of Chloe - I still feel the only reason she was cured by the aliens was because killing the character off would have gotten fans riled up and the show canceled even faster.

I hope they'll save it, if only because it was starting to get a bit better at times. And because I fear what sort of crappy thing they'll replace it with.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 06:29 AM »
I hope they'll save it, if only because it was starting to get a bit better at times. And because I fear what sort of crappy thing they'll replace it with.

I'll give you that one hands down. SciFi Friday used to be mandatory on our household. Right up until they ruined it with (2 hours of) wrestling. What moron decided that qualified as Science Fiction?!?

On Star Gate in general, it seems like they're really just been spit-balling in the hopes of reproducing the chemistry of the original series. But it's hard to clone Jack O'Neil. He really made the show work, at least for me (McGuiver fan).

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 07:15 AM »
I like fringe, supernatural, heroes, battlestar galactica, true blood, the walking dead

You've written my list~! :)

I'd add Caprica and Dexter to that though. And South Park. Twice. :)

"The Event" is ok.

It was a tragedy when Farscape got canceled. That show was brilliant.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 08:29 AM »
I'll give you that one hands down. SciFi Friday used to be mandatory on our household. Right up until they ruined it with (2 hours of) wrestling. What moron decided that qualified as Science Fiction?!?
-Stoic Joker (May 06, 2011, 06:29 AM)

That's... ugh. I've got no words to express my disappointment in the world right now.

On Star Gate in general, it seems like they're really just been spit-balling in the hopes of reproducing the chemistry of the original series. But it's hard to clone Jack O'Neil. He really made the show work, at least for me (McGuiver fan).

Correct. Except that they are trying to turn it into a more modern Star Trek Voyager at the same time, or a Stargate Atlantis without that annoying McKay and a darker feel. They're not making their own story, but they rip off stuff left and right and middle and inbetween. I know everything steals from everything, but you are supposed to make it mesh rather than have it act like a textbook case of Televised Multiple Personality Disorder.

Talking about Star Trek.. I really want them to make a more proper Star Trek series again. Enterprise was sad. I'd love to see a show dedicated to the TNG/DS9/Voyager universe, except focus on the 24th century with the Timetravel Command or whatever it was called. Time travel can be cheesy, but the current examples of the scifi genre have no problems being cheesy either as this thread has already proven. With the right touch, I think they could make it into quite a nice and varied show.

Farscape I could never get into; I think I saw one season but that's about where my ability to stomach it ended. Firefly was nice while it lasted. One show I miss is Andromeda, and not because of the interesting outfits the computer-girl wears (which imo could have been toned down). ;D I liked the setting and the ambition of one man trying to restore a nation piece by piece, which had more focus and potential than many other shows I've seen.

The final show I will mention is Doctor Who. There's no competition for that british case of brilliance. The last bunch of Doctor's have all been excellent.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 08:53 AM »
+1 For Andromeda.

+50 or so for Doctor Who~! :)

And +1981 for Tom Baker (the best doctor ever~!

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 11:51 AM »

Correct. Except that they are trying to turn it into a more modern Star Trek Voyager at the same time, or a Stargate Atlantis without that annoying McKay and a darker feel. They're not making their own story, but they rip off stuff left and right and middle and inbetween. I know everything steals from everything, but you are supposed to make it mesh rather than have it act like a textbook case of Televised Multiple Personality Disorder.

Quite true, I liked Voyager much better than Next Generation. Janeway had ball much unlike Piccard (what a dink). And then there's Riker who kept destroying the Enterprise every time they let him drive ... What's up with that?

I'm good with most of the rest of your assessment also, except the Andromeda outfits, they were just fine in my book. Oh yeah and I liked Farscape.

Come to think of it nobody has mentioned Lexx yet ... Come on now, you gotta like the psychotic talking robot head!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 01:00 PM »
Lexx is a bit too much off the beaten path for most. But hey, I like shows where someone plays the cowardly weasel right. Andromeda has also a good one.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 05:47 PM »
Lexx is a bit too much off the beaten path for most.

Really? It wasn't that hard to find. It was on SciFi here for a year or so, the wife and I loved it. (Or I could be missing your meaning)

But hey, I like shows where someone plays the cowardly weasel right. Andromeda has also a good one.

hehe Yes, some people are fun to hate. :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 10:20 PM »
I forgot about Lexx. That was an excellent show! It really was very strange. I think that's in part what made it so wonderful.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 11:55 PM »
The strangeness was what I meant with 'off the beaten path'.

I also enjoyed Farscape immensely, that show improved a lot during its seasons. Make sure you also see the 'PeaceKeeper's wars' episodes from that series (and I have to admit that there is something about Claudia Black that kept me glued to the screen).

FireFly is/was also amazingly good.

A couple of weeks ago I saw an episode from Doctor Who (the latest series) about statues that were actually aliens...and that was a freakingly good episode! So if there are more of those I am inclined to follow that series as well.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 12:10 AM »
Doctor Who seems to me to be sci-fi/horror that's safe for kids. (Unlike South Park which is barely safe for adults! :) )

The Doctor never uses guns, and is the kind of hero that you can sympathize with. (Unlike most cop shows, where I want to see the cops "get it".)

He's definitely one of the better role models.

I like the new arch in DW as well.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 12:47 AM »
I'm good with most of the rest of your assessment also, except the Andromeda outfits, they were just fine in my book.
-Stoic Joker (May 06, 2011, 11:51 AM)

Oh, it worked, don't get me wrong. It was very pleasant to watch. :) I just think I'd have taken the show a teensy bit more seriously had her costumes been toned down a little: she was the bloody AI of a military battlecruiser like ship.

A couple of weeks ago I saw an episode from Doctor Who (the latest series) about statues that were actually aliens...and that was a freakingly good episode! So if there are more of those I am inclined to follow that series as well.

There's a couple of those. The first one involving those was definitely among the very best (I think it was THE best episode at the time of its first airing). Did it focus on some random girl visiting some house, or did the episode play in some sort of giant cave? (Those are the only two I can readily recall, although I think there was a third episode with those too.)

Either way, there's a number of really excellent episodes, and I can recommend watching them. The last two Doctors were/are awesome.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 12:59 AM »
Oh, it worked, don't get me wrong. It was very pleasant to watch. :) I just think I'd have taken the show a teensy bit more seriously had her costumes been toned down a little: she was the bloody AI of a military battlecruiser like ship.

And shouldn't the AI for a military battlecruiser capable of destroying entire solar systems look 100% utterly killer~! :P :D

Lexa Doig...  She's got looks that kill.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 09:43 AM »

And shouldn't the AI for a military battlecruiser capable of destroying entire solar systems look 100% utterly killer~! :P :D

Indeed. As the face of the AI, she is the face of the ship ... And therefore should be a face (that could launch a thousand ships...) worth fighting for (and preferably at the drop of a hat). ;)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 01:16 PM »
@worstje:
Yep, it was the one where a girl visits a house. That episode grabs your attention and makes you look twice at any angel statue afterwards.   :Thmbsup: