ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Save Stargate Universe

<< < (2/4) > >>

worstje:
I personally feel SG:U is decent, but that it made a few crucial mistakes.

For one, it keeps focusing back on Planet Earth and its issues with the Lucian alliance, which I think is pretty much the last thing anyone cares about in this show. They should have called it SG:Homeworld Command or something if that was going to be the main theme.

Second issue is that they keep wasting entire episodes on stories that basically consist out of 'oh, this didn't warrant a full episode, nor did this, so lets smash them together'. Such as the one where a certain someone thinks it is fun to prank someone into a cryogenic pod for most of a day. Or that random person in that recent episode who suddenly starts freaking out when under attack and puts everyone in danger. Yes, I know there is a degree of coping involved for the people on Destiny, but after all this time it should be obvious we want the story of _Destiny_ to go somewhere, and not get stupid stories nobody cares about that would be called 'filler' in anime. Or that random curing of Chloe - I still feel the only reason she was cured by the aliens was because killing the character off would have gotten fans riled up and the show canceled even faster.

I hope they'll save it, if only because it was starting to get a bit better at times. And because I fear what sort of crappy thing they'll replace it with.

Stoic Joker:
I hope they'll save it, if only because it was starting to get a bit better at times. And because I fear what sort of crappy thing they'll replace it with.-worstje (May 06, 2011, 04:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'll give you that one hands down. SciFi Friday used to be mandatory on our household. Right up until they ruined it with (2 hours of) wrestling. What moron decided that qualified as Science Fiction?!?

On Star Gate in general, it seems like they're really just been spit-balling in the hopes of reproducing the chemistry of the original series. But it's hard to clone Jack O'Neil. He really made the show work, at least for me (McGuiver fan).

Renegade:
I like fringe, supernatural, heroes, battlestar galactica, true blood, the walking dead
-justice (May 06, 2011, 03:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

You've written my list~! :)

I'd add Caprica and Dexter to that though. And South Park. Twice. :)

"The Event" is ok.

It was a tragedy when Farscape got canceled. That show was brilliant.

worstje:
I'll give you that one hands down. SciFi Friday used to be mandatory on our household. Right up until they ruined it with (2 hours of) wrestling. What moron decided that qualified as Science Fiction?!?
-Stoic Joker (May 06, 2011, 06:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's... ugh. I've got no words to express my disappointment in the world right now.

On Star Gate in general, it seems like they're really just been spit-balling in the hopes of reproducing the chemistry of the original series. But it's hard to clone Jack O'Neil. He really made the show work, at least for me (McGuiver fan).
-Stoic Joker (May 06, 2011, 06:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Correct. Except that they are trying to turn it into a more modern Star Trek Voyager at the same time, or a Stargate Atlantis without that annoying McKay and a darker feel. They're not making their own story, but they rip off stuff left and right and middle and inbetween. I know everything steals from everything, but you are supposed to make it mesh rather than have it act like a textbook case of Televised Multiple Personality Disorder.

Talking about Star Trek.. I really want them to make a more proper Star Trek series again. Enterprise was sad. I'd love to see a show dedicated to the TNG/DS9/Voyager universe, except focus on the 24th century with the Timetravel Command or whatever it was called. Time travel can be cheesy, but the current examples of the scifi genre have no problems being cheesy either as this thread has already proven. With the right touch, I think they could make it into quite a nice and varied show.

Farscape I could never get into; I think I saw one season but that's about where my ability to stomach it ended. Firefly was nice while it lasted. One show I miss is Andromeda, and not because of the interesting outfits the computer-girl wears (which imo could have been toned down). ;D I liked the setting and the ambition of one man trying to restore a nation piece by piece, which had more focus and potential than many other shows I've seen.

The final show I will mention is Doctor Who. There's no competition for that british case of brilliance. The last bunch of Doctor's have all been excellent.

Renegade:
+1 For Andromeda.

+50 or so for Doctor Who~! :)

And +1981 for Tom Baker (the best doctor ever~!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version