topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

If you make monetary donations to charity, which of the following describes the charity which you donate to?

I regularly donate to a specific charity.
3 (11.5%)
I occasionally donate to a specific charity.
1 (3.8%)
I regularly donate to various charities.
2 (7.7%)
I occasionally donate to various charities.
5 (19.2%)
I donate to my church or other organization that I am affiliated with,
4 (15.4%)
I donate by purchasing cookies, candy, raffle tickets, etc.
6 (23.1%)
I donate by giving money to whomever asks for it.
0 (0%)
I donate when there is a specific need (earthquake, fire, etc).
4 (15.4%)
I do not donate to charity.
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Charities  (Read 4170 times)

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Charities
« on: May 07, 2011, 01:58 AM »
If you make monetary donations to charity, please consider voting.  If you are so inclined, share more specific information in a post (though please don't feel compelled to go into detail if you would prefer not to).  I am simply curious as to the habits of the users here on DonationCoder.  The nature of this website attracts individuals who are willing to share their monetary resources with others, so I am interested in how that extends beyond what we do here on DC.

The extent to which I might ever use the data from this poll would be a future blog post that would read something like, "Of the people who voted in a poll I ran on a popular website's message board, 50% indicated that they donated when a specific need such as an earthquake arose."  Nothing more specific than that, and I promise not to specifically refer to any posted responses unless I have directly contacted the individual and received permission to do so.  I doubt any need to be specific unless someone shares something really interesting about their poll response.  That being said, I am not planning any particular blog post at this time.

I recognize that this is an informal poll and would carry no weight as part of a larger study or academic research.

And, while I fully support everything that DonationCoder.com does, I am not talking about those kinds of donations here :).

C

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 02:25 AM by cthorpe »

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Charities
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 02:02 AM »
Are you just curious about our habits or compiling some sort of statistics? The way your post is phrased gives me the feeling you're asking for more than simply curiousity. :) I've got no problems voting but I'm curious why I'd be voting, if that makes sense.

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 02:14 AM »
Thanks for the question.

I made some edits to hopefully clarify the reasons for my poll.

C

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 04:02 AM »
I chose #1 but I dont donate money, but donate my time.

I see you say: If you make monetary donations to charity, please consider voting. - I can remove my vote if you only want preople who make monetary donations
Tom

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 06:15 AM »
I'm with Tomos, although my case is an even gray-ier gray. :) For example, my day before christmas this year was spent as one of those annoying begging and nagging collectors that walk around in ones regional city center. There was a parade and all, and the organisation I was collecting for was the official charity of the event. I ended up collecting most of pretty much everyone (only a single person overshot me, and that was by ~5 euros :tellme: heh ).

Come to think of it, I did put some coins into my own box that time, so I actually did donate, so it isn't as extra grayish as I thought. (Still, usually I feel just wasting my time on the street bugging people is more than plenty of a donation to make.)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 02:08 PM »
I am more inclined to donate to individuals rather than an organized charity, and more inclined to donate what they need rather than money (I usually don't have much of that to give any way)...and under no circumstances do I ever support any religion based charities.

I prefer to literally share my food with the hungry, give a coat to someone cold, let a homeless person sleep on my sofa (not a complete stranger, though).