Newsletter for May 5th, 2011
1. Newsletter Editorial
Warmer weather and tornadoes seem to signal the beginning of summer in the Midwest, and it's time for another DC newsletter. Since we last spoke the fundraiser wrapped up, with a whopping $14,239 donated by over 600 individual donors -- a huge success and enough to cover our hosting and administrative fees for the next two years. Hooray! A giant thank you to everyone who donated, and cheered us on during the fundraiser and especially to those coders and writers on the forum who helped us make the fundraiser month something special. And if you somehow missed the fundraiser don't forget that we accept donations year round.
Things have been understandably a little less raucous for the last month following the fundraiser -- so this will be a short newsletter. And it woud be a great time for some of you first posters to introduce yourself on the forum or ask a question:
- OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?
- Show us a photo of your mutt or other creatures
- Show us the View Outside Your Window
2. Software Updates
One of the prizes awarded during the fundraiser was some allocated programming hours by me on a project of the winner's choosing. DC member Cranioscopical won and requested that I finally add image capture support to my clipboard tool (Clipboard Help+Spell). I must admit I have been having fun adding the feature, and you'll find a new BETA release of CHS available for download with image capturing support working quite well. You'll also find a link below to the new evolution of my Flipbook Printer program, called Flipbook Printer Suite 2.0 -- with full support for recording video in addition to printing flipbooks.
- Clipboard Help+Spell Screencasts
- Clipboard Help+Spell Beta with Image Support
- Latest Version - FlipSuite (Flipbook Printer Suite) v2.01.01 - March 30, 2011
3. Discounts and Giveaways
Members of our forum frequently reach out to shareware companies and arrange software discounts and give-aways. In addition, forum members are always on the lookout for discounts that they find on the web and they love to share with the rest of us.
This Month's Special Discounts and Giveaways:
4. Website Discoveries, Debates, and Discussions
What's new in cyberspace? What exciting new sites have been discovered by forum members? What's the current hot topic and debate? Read on to find out..
- Kickstarter and Indie2GoGo Projects Spotlight - April 11, 2011
- Kickstarter and Indie2GoGo Projects Spotlight - April 18, 2011
- Downloadsquad shutting down - Another one bites the dust
- Karen Kenworthy RIP
- Sony Playstation Network hacked - All your infos are belong to hackers.
- Anyone here using a standing desk?
- Apple - not quite grasping the concept of privacy.
- 5 Reasons to Hate Google - Interesting Article
5. Fun, Humour and Amusements on the Web
If you've read the newsletter up to this point, take a break and check out the lighter side of the forum - humour, videos, and games..
- Cat & Dolphin Make Friends
- Flash Game of the Week: Zombie Cats
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading List
- The great toilet paper debate
- Movies I Love to Listen To: Dialects and Accents
- Day of the Review - link/create/renew reviews
6. Announce Your Software/Service/Product
Sometimes coders announce their software (freeware and shareware) on our site; here are some announcements made in the last month or so:
- Listary Update: The new and improved Listary 3 released
- InfoQube (IQ) Information Management System Q & A
- Announcing freeware/donationware "KyrCrypt 0.16"
- High Speed Source Code Viewer [portable, freeware available]
- WinSendkeys: Latest version thread. Version 3.0.4, released 2011-04-22
- BonAView Photo Manager
- OneKey 22.214.171.124
- ReRun 126.96.36.199
7. Software Discussion
Here you'll find some of the standout discussions that have been started since the last newsletter about specific software applications.
- How to make Firefox Not Open PDF Files
- DLS: Mozilla publishes name and shame list of slow Firefox add-ons
- Firefox Extension Guru's Blog
- ShadowProtect Desktop just did an awesome job for me
- Amazon Watcher - Freeware
- Uninstalling Google Chrome can mess up your PC(if it was set as default browser)
- Lizamoon Attack Targets SQL Injection Vulnerability
- BoxedApp: Virtualization to Create Single EXEs from Mixed Assemblies
- Make all Dialog Boxes and Browser Popups come up where the Cursor is
8. Developer's Corner
The title of this section shouldn't scare you off - there is definitely something of interest for everyone here! It's more than just a section for the discussion of software development, it's also where we discuss web design, entrepreneurial ideas, and general productivity issues. It's great to see that the section has been pretty active recently.
- Good blog for software developers to follow
- Loss of ownership / control over a .org domain - advice requested
- A very good (and free) captcha class in PHP (Recommendation)
- The Yii PHP Framework
- What's your approach to this help desk procedure issue?
- Amazon Clouddrive Sync Clients
9. Hardware Hideout
We tend to focus on websites and software on the forum, but that doesn't mean that DC forum members aren't always on the lookout for cool new gadgets and information on maximizing their computer's performance.